Joint webchat with Conservative and Labour housing minister and shadow housing minister, MONDAY 2 MARCH 1pm x

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Trying to cancel mobile phone contract...

(5 Posts)
Bertiebassett Thu 04-Apr-13 07:30:29

Hi can anyone help?
I was sold a 24month mobile phone contract by a third party company (let's call them 'A'). They cold called me appearing to be the main supplier ('O') and I verbally agreed to this contract.

When the handset and letter arrived 2 days later I realised what had happened and phoned 'O' up to cancel. They told me to call 'A'...which I did. I verbally canceled the contract and returned the handset by special delivery...as instructed and all within the official cancellation period.

I didn't hear anything for a couple of weeks and then the parcel was returned to me by the post office. The note said the Post Office were unable to deliver to 'A' and had left a collection card but it had not been collected.

I tried to call 'A' but the phone kept going dead. Couldn't get a response. There was no email address on their letter that had accompanied the handset. I called 'O' for help and they couldn't get hold of the company either. 'O' said they couldn't do anything as I had to cancel the contract with 'A' and not them. 'O' advised me to wait and see what happens!

I kept trying to phone 'A' for a few weeks and then I got seriously ill. The whole contract business wasn't exactly my priority for the next few months!

When I did feel better I tried calling 'A' again and got through! They had a record if my cancellation phone call but couldn't explain why the parcel wasn't delivered or collected. They gave me an email address and I sent scans of all my evidence of postage etc.

Soon after I emailed them I had a couple of 'we are looking into it' responses....but now I've heard nothing for 3 months. They are not responding to my emails now and I can't seem to get them on the phone.

I've tried to get this resolved through 'O' but they're no help at all. I tried applying through CSIS but they say its been going on too long (9 months now!).

Any advice on why I can do next?

Collaborate Thu 04-Apr-13 08:53:58

Presumably you've paid them nothing. Keep all your evidence for at least 6 years, but you don't need to do anything else.

Bertiebassett Thu 04-Apr-13 10:22:13

I'm so sorry I wasn't clear....

I've been paying 'O' the monthly contract fee since day one. It's expensive. I've been paying it for 9 months now even though I haven't used the handset and SIM.

'O' won't let me change onto a cheaper contract until I've cancelled the existing one with 'A' (which I've been unable to do).

Bertiebassett Thu 04-Apr-13 10:23:45

I feel like I'm stuck in limbo paying for a contract and phone that I don't actually use...unable to cancel it (without paying a hefty cancellation fee).

Any advice collaborate?

differentnameforthis Thu 04-Apr-13 15:13:58

Don't pay another penny to O. That will make them sit up & take notice!

They had a record if my cancellation phone call Then they have no right to be charging you. This company A, are only a go between for O, it is not your problem that the phone wasn't collected by A, in all fairness, perhaps you should not have accepted the parcel back, but it is too late now. You kept up your end of the bargain!

If you want to, you can try returning the phone again, direct to O, or find out of they have a local store & drop it off with a note detailing all of the above & stop paying. I don't see why you have paid for 9mths if they have a record of your cancellation, because you haven't helped your case on that aspect, because paying the bill, you have entered into the contract. If you hadn't paid it I think they would be taking it a bit more seriously.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now