Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Who pays costs on a jointly owned property after divorce?

(2 Posts)
HowToSayNo Wed 03-Apr-13 12:06:42

Just a quick question.

So, last year me and XH split. We jointly owned two houses in the same area. One was vacant so XH just moved in to that one and we agreed I'd carry on living in the other. After a couple of months I realised that I really needed a new start. Got a new job in a new area and put the house on the market (with XH's consent). We discussed things then and it was decided that we would both pay half of the mortgages on the 2 properties until the divorce was through. I explained that the house would need to sell as I Couldn't afford the mortgage on its own.

Divorce is now sorted a year later. Financial declaration means that he has b

HowToSayNo Wed 03-Apr-13 12:10:22

Bugger, posted too soon!

Means that he has bought me out of his house and we jointly own the other until it sells.

Unfortunately there are still bills etc (council tax payable on empty property etc). Whilst he is happy to pay the mortgage he is now saying that any other bills are my problem as I moved away.

It's been empty for a year.

I'm happy to pay half the bills but would really struggle to pay all of them.

He says it's all my fault for moving. And that was my decision.

Where do I stand legally? Am I a terrible person for moving?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now