Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious legal concerns, we would suggest you consult a lawyer.

Is it legal to specify a religion for an admin assistant at a faith school?

(3 Posts)
BeehavingBaby Wed 27-Feb-13 21:32:14

Wanted to send a job advert to a friend and I was a bit hmm when I noticed that they specified a Catholic. As far as I can see from Google, this is just about acceptable (legally if not morally) for teachers but for admin staff, seems a bit of a stretch?

prh47bridge Wed 27-Feb-13 23:27:28

A religious organisation can require employees to be of a particular religion or belief provided they can show it is an occupational requirement and is a proportionate means of achieving a legitimate aim. Whether or not this allows a faith school to specify that an admin assistant must be of the faith is a question that can only be answered by the courts.

BeehavingBaby Thu 28-Feb-13 09:56:16

Thank you, not sure she'd want the job that much but seems like they might be on shaky ground!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now