Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Query about bereavement and benefit from father's pension

(3 Posts)
TroublesomeEx Wed 27-Feb-13 23:51:15

Hi

Thanks for replying.

It's the local government pension scheme that he paid into when during his working life. He was in receipt of his pension as he retired some years ago.

It just seems a bit odd that we have to sign a declaration to say we will make no further claim on the estate. I'm not sure what other claim we would make.

I suppose I could just phone them! I hadn't considered that.

I think I just thought I'd get a response along the lines of "oh yes, you always have to do that, it's just a formality to prevent x, y and z from happening" smile

digerd Wed 27-Feb-13 18:27:36

Sorry, I don't understand either. Is it his firm's pension that he paid into to, and was still working when he died?
He should have had paperwork at home about his pension fund, and what happens when he dies before he retires.

TroublesomeEx Wed 27-Feb-13 13:21:45

Hi

I hope someone here can help me with this.

My dad died late last year and I've received a letter from his works (LG) pension scheme saying that I am due a small payout from his pension fund.

I have to complete a 'Claim for Benefits Form' before I can receive this and sign a declaration which confirms that:

'I will be personally responsible for this amount and confirm that I will not make any further claims against the Fund in respect of any benefits for [his name]'

I just want to clarify what this means.

The amount I am to receive is a couple of hundred pounds and equates to 0.06% of his pension fund.

I can't imagine why I'd make a further claim, but given that I don't much fancy signing a declaration without actually knowing what it is I'm agreeing to, I just wondered if someone could tell me that this is perfectly standard and reassure myself (and my brother) about this.

Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now