Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Jobs, sickness and depression

(5 Posts)
PopMusic Fri 08-Feb-13 23:12:37

My DP is deeply unhappy in his job and wants to leave. However, during Sept-Dec 2011, he was off work with a bad back. I also think he is suffering from depression and I am encouraging him to go the GP to be diagnosed but he thinks it will stop him getting a new job. He is worried that it would come up in a medical form that you have fill out for new jobs.

Is he right? How far do you have to go back when highlighting absences (he is a teacher) and would stating depression on the medical form have a detriment effect on being employed?

prh47bridge Sat 09-Feb-13 00:10:20

Not familiar with job applications for teachers but I have never had to complete a medical form when applying for a job. Having looked for application forms for teaching jobs on Google the ones I have looked at do not enquire about medical history beyond asking whether or not the applicant has a disability, nor do they ask about the applicant's absence record.

If the potential employer is aware of his depression and refuse to employ him on those grounds that could give him a case for discrimination.

RedHelenB Sat 09-Feb-13 07:36:38

I've had to as a teacher, think it was over the last two years how many days have you had off.

mumblechum1 Sat 09-Feb-13 09:10:05

As prh47 says, for most jobs, they just want to know how many days the applicant has had off in the last one, sometimes two years. So if he applied for a job in Feb 2013, he should only have to tell them about absence since Feb 2012 (or rather, his current employer does).

PopMusic Sat 09-Feb-13 15:41:38

Thanks, everyone. Yes, application forms (for the local authority here, anyway) does ask for how many days you have off sick. But also, when you get the job, there's a medical form that you have to fill out, with a medical history etc - and it is stipulated that job offer is dependent, amongst other things, what is written on the form.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now