Joint webchat with Conservative and Labour housing minister and shadow housing minister, MONDAY 2 MARCH 1pm x

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Scottish landownership and house building

(6 Posts)
Doha Fri 08-Feb-13 17:31:52

My DD is building a house with her DF and they will have a joint mortgage. However the land is owned by DF's grandparents who are in the process of signing the land over to DF.
My worry is--God forbid-they split just what her legal position would be if he still is the owner of the land.
DD has her sensible head on and has said she would not want to stay in the house if they split as the IL's and GP's also have houses built on the adjacent land.
She just wants to protect her investment.

Boomboomboomboom Fri 08-Feb-13 18:58:23

I would be very surprised if she can be a joint mortgagee without being a joint tenant (or possibly tenant in common) of the land. a bank won't lend her money if she doesn't own an interest in the land

Doha Fri 08-Feb-13 19:30:21

ooooh interesting.. It's not that DF doesn't want her name on the land ownership l just dont think they have thought about it

Thanks for the reply smile

I don't think those are Scottish forms of landownership, boomboom.

Boomboomboomboom Fri 08-Feb-13 20:32:29

<ahem> I completely missed the Scottish bit (was on my phone) sorry. I don't have a clue about how you 'own property' north of the border but I doubt any bank would lend anyone money without the knowing the person they lent it to owned the property it is secured against!

That must be right, just didn't want anyone to take the joint tenancy concept and run with it...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now