Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

When do finances matter?

(4 Posts)
betterthanever Fri 08-Feb-13 17:23:02

Do judges when making orders for contact or parental responsibility ever take into consideration or even ask if the person applying for contact and/ or parental responsibility has any means to finance the care of the child concerned?

And I don't mean as in give the RP anything - I mean that they themselves have money to even support themselves?

I presume that for example, as long as the applicant says they will be able to be say ... at a contact centre on certain days at certain times then the judge would not be concerned how they fund transport or do they?

Case in question NRP has no income not even benefits and claims to live off family and friends. They are seeking contact and PR. Had no previous contact with the child almost 8 years old. Income of all parties not been discussed yet but wonder it if will be raised.

RedHelenB Fri 08-Feb-13 19:10:46

Can't see why it would be raised.

STIDW Fri 08-Feb-13 19:22:54

A non resident parent not paying child support when they are liable could be construed as a lack of commitment but a judge won't be interested how someone funds transport to get to a contact centre. Finances are dealt with separately and people with no/low income may walk or have a friend or family who can take them to contact or give them a bus fare.

The courts considerations when granting Parental responsibility is commitment, attachment and if the motivation for applying for an order is for a genuine reason.

betterthanever Fri 08-Feb-13 20:19:30

Thank you STIDW.
When would a judge look at a parent being able to meet a child's basic needs - food etc. ? would that only be when they had unsupervised care for over a few hours?
Would PR only be granted if there is an attachment?
And sorry for one more question. If the contact aspects of the case are finalised could the issue of PR be left open to see how the contact goes? that may not be possible for anyone to answer?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now