Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Libel question

(3 Posts)
DoALittleDance Tue 29-Jan-13 13:41:16

Great, thanks for your help. Will wait and see what happens when it comes out! x

prh47bridge Tue 29-Jan-13 00:31:59

If they put statements about you that are untrue and which damage your reputation you can sue for libel. You may be able to stop the book being sold unless the offending passages are removed. However, if the statements about you are matters of opinion you may not have a case and if the stories do not damage your reputation you do not have a case for libel even if they are untrue.

If a photo of you was taken at a public event or in a public place they can probably print it without your permission. If it was taken in a situation where you had a reasonable expectation of privacy they may need your permission before publishing it.

DoALittleDance Tue 29-Jan-13 00:19:38

Just found out someone I used to be close friends with is writing their autobiography. They are not A-list famous but the book may well be successful, don't really want to say much more in case I out them or me.

Unfortunately we are not on speaking terms and over the past ten years I have had various stories from the past reported back to me from mutual friends which have been framed horribly/lied about by this ex-friend.

I am worried that this person might put some untrue stories about me in their book. Would really appreciate some advice to find out if there's anything I can do if this happens? Can they print photos of me without my permission?

Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now