Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Might there be a lovely solicitor MNetter who could point me in the right direction please? (Will/executor related)

(3 Posts)

I'm just going to tell the facts, so apologise if I sound uncaring (not the case, we're all very sad).

My uncle sadly and suddenly passed away just before christmas. We have a copy of his will which names two solicitors as executors. We've been trying to get in touch with the firm since, but by the look of the building at the address given, the firm nolonger exists. we have googled the names of the solicitors named, one was struck off at some point and we couldn't find the other - he would be pensionable age easily by now so doughtful he is still practising.

The 4 people named as beneficiaries are me, my sister and two cousins.

What do we need to do now?

Thankyou in advance for any advise you can give. smile

Seabright Wed 02-Jan-13 22:13:31

Assuming it's a UK firm, the Law Society will tell you what has happened to the firm. They also have a search facility on the website (http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/find-a-solicitor) to trace both firms and individuals.

Firms do wind up (especially in the current financial climate), sometimes the individuals move on, sometimes they retire. If the solicitors have retired/are now at different firms, you'd probably be better off (financially speaking) asking them to renounce their executorships and appointing someone else instead.

Thankyou smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now