Webchat with Tristram Hunt, Labour education shadow, MONDAY 27 April at 12 midday ×

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Asset splitting-please help!

(3 Posts)
Ineedahug Mon 31-Dec-12 20:55:09

My husband and I have recently separated and he now wants to split our assets. He earns a lot, I dont earn anything (im a full time student) and we have 3 DCs. We jointly own the family home and another property that we rent out (one bed flat, not worth a lot). Does the split of assets relate to the amount of time we have the children? I think he thinks that if he has the children 50% of the time then all assets will be split 50:50 and he wont have to pay me any maintenance. I am terrified he'll sell the family house, or ask me to buy him out, and I wont be able to get a mortgage as Im a student.
Any advice gratefully received. Not thinking straight at the moment!

Collaborate Mon 31-Dec-12 23:52:42

It doesn't work like that at all. You need to take some formal advice from a solicitor. Look on the resolution.org.uk website for a solicitor nearby.

babybarrister Tue 01-Jan-13 10:16:52

Agree with collaborate - please go and get some proper advice. And do NOT sign anything in the meantime - he cannot sell a jointly owned property without your consentsmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now