Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious legal concerns, we would suggest you consult a lawyer.

been given a car, no log book. owner missing. what do i do with it?

(77 Posts)
freezingmytitsoff Thu 13-Dec-12 12:08:03

i have a family member who used to live near me. about 3yrs ago he moved abraod. he left a car at one of his freinds houses who lived near me. the car has sat there for 3yrs, his friend contacted me and said the council was going to tow it if it wasn't moved so i got someone to pick it up and park it at there parents house.
now the problem is we have no keys and no logbook!
i have till jan 1st to move from where it is.
the family memeber who owns it is uncontactable, i have tried every possible way of finding him but can't.
it is worth about 2,000 and i could really do with the money.
i don't drive and know nothing about cars.
what the hell do i do?

freezingmytitsoff Mon 17-Dec-12 09:49:20

ok everyone i think your being very dramatic. he is a close relative, he has gone missing after a trip to america.
there is an open missing persons report on him.
the police have contacted me regarding him being missing, they told me he had entered the country from america and that was the last trace of him.
he is a drug addict and has done this sort of thing before. his mum has been told that he has been seen around london by mutual friends. they don't have a very good relationship anyway.
he inherited a lot of money a few yrs ago. the reason his friend gave it to me is he said the my relative had left everything to me in his will and always said he wanted me to have everything. he has no children or wife.
are you all saying that you would let the council have something that belonged to your family/friend? he would be more angry at me if i had let the council take it, he would be fuming in fact.
i know 100% that he would want me to have it rather than leave it to rot or towed away.
i have tried every possible way of contacting him and so have the police.
i have no idea why anyone would think that i am trying to take something of him to sell, i didn't ask for it.
it was simply you take or the council will.
why wouldn't i?
and i can't keep it for him as i have no where to store it.
i will just tell the dvla the thruth, if someone can't be found are you just meant to leave any property of theres to rot away?

freezingmytitsoff Mon 17-Dec-12 09:58:05

thanks for link beaver!

trueblood1fan Mon 17-Dec-12 09:58:31

so owner has not given you permission to sell & spend his money?! if you sold car i would put money aside incase he comes back. he could report you to the police theft/take you to small claims. by all means charge him reasonable storage fees but cannot be resolved until he comes back.

poor man & his poor family - so feel for them :'(

freezingmytitsoff Mon 17-Dec-12 11:05:11

i am his bloody family!!
we are not the kind of family to report eachother to the police or go to a small claims court, i don't know what planet some of you are living on.
and if he came back i wouldn't charge him fees, he is my family.
you are talking like it is a strangers car.
if he came back and wanted the money i would get it for him, but i know he wouldn't.
if he came back and found out that i let the council tow away his car he would be really angry with me.
how can i store it for him when there is a 99% chance he will never come back for it?

trueblood1fan Mon 17-Dec-12 11:32:29

just sell it then lol. stop asking & do it.

freezingmytitsoff Mon 17-Dec-12 11:41:04

i was more asking about how to go about it than wether i should do it or not.
i don't drive and know nothing about cars, DVLA, logbooks ect.

trueblood1fan Mon 17-Dec-12 12:16:22

but youve been told time & time again by posters who are police/solicitors you cant but youre not listening so i give up lol.

freezingmytitsoff Mon 17-Dec-12 12:57:57

what else am i meant to do with it? leave on a public road to rot/get towed away? wasting the councils time and money? and my relatives money?
people don't seem to understand that there is room for common sense within the law. you don't have to behave like a robot and follow the law to the letter.
if i rang up the local police station and told them the situation, do you think they would come and arrest me?
or do you think they would use a bit of common sense and say try to order a log book in my name?

bradywasmyfavouritewiseman Mon 17-Dec-12 13:44:50

The rules on abandoned property is different if he has been reported missing. He would have to be declared dead for his property to be released to next of kin.
If there is record of him entering the US there would be record of him leaving. You are allowed to stay 90 visa free. His passport would flag him up leaving after that as an over stayer. The same if he had a visa.

You seem more concerned about his possessions than him. Return the car to his mother.

Bet you wouldn't care less if it was worth £250.

MOSagain Mon 17-Dec-12 14:07:20

ok, its time for a biscuit

trueblood1fan Mon 17-Dec-12 14:09:00

yes, leave it - its NOT yours :-\

freezingmytitsoff Mon 17-Dec-12 14:32:27

his mum lives in a flat in london and has no where to keep it. i would just be handing her a huge problem. and i live miles away, how would i get it to her?
and you have got a cheek saying i don't care about him, how the hell would you know?
this thread was nothing to do with my relationship with him or about him going missing, it was simply about the car. so i have not talked about it. that doesn't mean i don't care, what a huge assumption to make on such little information.
cheeky cow.
anyway if there is anyone who has a mind of there own and is not just a robot who lives there life 100% by the book, even if it means wasting thousonds of pounds. just because thats the 'law', i would like to hear your opinion.

titchy Mon 17-Dec-12 14:45:21

I think if you'd started a thread saying a relative has disappeared and left a car worth thousands of pounds, what should I do for him to make sure it doesn't get taken away by the council, people would have been more sympathetic.

But you didn't, you said you were broke and wanted to sell his car cos you wanted the money.

You started a thread asking how to steal sell something that isn't yours, so YOU would benefit. Not how to sell something on behalf of a disappeared relative so that HE/his next of kin would benefit if he was ever found.

MOSagain Mon 17-Dec-12 14:46:08

I am not a robot and have a mind of my own. Also, having worked as a police officer and a lawyer, I know and respect the law and don't cherry pick which aspects of it I abide by and which I ignore because it suits me financially.

I appreciate it must be a difficult time for you and your family, however, there is no need to be rude to people who have offered you advice that you have sought. I do not understand why you keep coming back for advice and keep attempting to justify your position when you don't like the advice you are given.

You have posted in legal, several lawyers have posted in response to your question but you are hellbent on ignoring their advice. Please don't waste peoples time then come back and abuse them.

bradywasmyfavouritewiseman Mon 17-Dec-12 14:56:18

Yes I am the cheeky cow. Clearly.

The fact is that this car is NOT abandoned. He may intact want it. However he may be being prevented from returning to collect it. that's why there is a difference.

If his mother is the next of kin, advise her and let her deal with it. If he turns up next month and wants his car what will you do then?

Call me what you want, you are coming across terribly and I am still convince you wouldn't give a crap and would be letting the friend sort it out if it was worthless

bradywasmyfavouritewiseman Mon 17-Dec-12 14:59:36

the reason his friend gave it to me is he said the my relative had left everything to me in his will and always said he wanted me to have everything. he has no children or wife.
you have no proof of this, though do you?
and you would have to have him declared dead to claim.

What activity was on the bank accounts? Why is there no record of him leaving the US, if he is in London?

Viviennemary Mon 17-Dec-12 15:55:24

The car isn't yours. The car wasn't his friends. You have no right to ownership of the car. That's the way I see things.

EuroShagmore Mon 17-Dec-12 16:11:47

There's a car parked outside my house. It looks quite shiny. Would anyone like it?

I am rather horrified that anyone would think this was the right thing to do. He might sort himself out and then turn up looking for his vintage car (that's one thing to think about - it's probably not something that can be exactly replaced if he does). It's not your car, OP, and it is not OK to assume ownership and sell it (not just legally, also morally).

trueblood1fan Mon 17-Dec-12 16:22:33

whoa op - you asked a question & abused the people that didnt agree with you. you are in the wrong & assuming your defensive nature is because you realise you are money grabbing. you didnt buy the car - it will never be yours to sell but hohum you can try :-\

MOSagain Mon 17-Dec-12 16:59:16

Euroshag, I think it is mine, must have mislaid it a few years ago wink

HECTheHallsWithRowsAndFolly Mon 17-Dec-12 17:13:31

if he shows up and if he wants his car back - what will you do?

You want to take his car and sell it, nobody on here can stop you.

You want to spend the money that you get from selling his car, nobody on here can stop you.

but you need to know what you will do if he shows up one day wanting it back.

Will you give him the money or will you say tough luck, I spent it.

I assume that you want him back more than you want the money for the car, so obviously you will be hoping against hope that he does show up one day.

And if he does - will you be repaying him the money you got for his car?

freezingmytitsoff Mon 17-Dec-12 20:48:00

of course i would repay him and i know 100% that he would rather i sold it than let the council tow it away. he would also understand that there is no way that i could store it on the off chance he wants it back.
i also gave became abusive because somebody who doesn't know me has said that i care more about a car than my relative. and i stand by that, she was out of order to say that. it was nothing to do with the thread.

HECTheHallsWithRowsAndFolly Tue 18-Dec-12 06:31:14

Well, what can anyone say? You will do what you will do. You do it knowing that it is against the law and so if there are legal consequences to you for doing it - you will have no right to moan or feel aggrieved in any way, you must just accept whatever happens. Maybe nothing will happen. But if it does - you won't be able to complain about it, because you will have gone into this knowing the legal position and that there was a risk.

If you're willing to take it, then that's your choice.

I hope your family member turns up, it must be very very worrying for you all. Particularly his mother. I can't imagine how painful it would be for me if I didn't know where my child was - or even if they were alive. It's so painful to imagine it, I can't even begin to know how painful it is to live it.

freezingmytitsoff Tue 18-Dec-12 09:29:23

yes it's awful not knowing where he is, unfortunatly inheriting money seems to have caused him so many problems. before that he was fine.
the last trace of him was coming back into the uk from america. ive messaged all hisa friends on FB but none of them have seen him.
im not sure what the police have done to find him.

HECTheHallsWithRowsAndFolly Tue 18-Dec-12 11:37:24

probably not much.

Adult male with money and no mental health problems or other vulnerability?

Have you tried things like salvation army - they're apparently quite good at finding people? newspaper ads?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now