Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Had flight cancelled due to snow. Should have been offered hotel right?

(3 Posts)
Amateurish Mon 10-Dec-12 16:01:01

These rights don't apply in cases where flights are cancelled because of bad weather I'm afraid.

NatashaBee Mon 10-Dec-12 15:32:07

Copied and pasted from Lufthansa's FAQs:

Your Passenger Rights
Dear passenger,

If your flight is cancelled or is subject to a long delay, or if you are denied boarding on a flight for which you hold a valid reservation, you are entitled to certain rights in accordance with the EU Regulation 261/2004, which entered into force on 17.02.2005. The airline which carries out the irregular flight is responsible for granting you these rights.

ScopeThe Regulation applies:

html_list
to passengers departing from an EU airport or departing from an airport outside the EU when carried by an EU carrier, unless they received benefits or compensation and were given assistance in that third country, only if you have a confirmed reservation on the flight concerned, only if you (except in case of cancellation) present yourself in time for check-in or, if no time is indicated, at least 45 minutes before the published departure time, only if you travel on a ticket bought at a fare available to the public. DelayIn accordance with the EU Regulation a delay occurs when a flight is delayed beyond its scheduled departure time by 4 hours for flights of more than 3.500 km, by 3 hours for flights between 1.500 km and 3.500 km as well as intra-Community flights of more than 1.500 km, and by 2 hours for flights of up to 1.500 km. When your flight is expected to have a long delay, passengers are entitled to receive care while waiting.

This includes: meals and refreshments in a reasonable relation to the waiting time, hotel accommodation if necessary including transfer costs and the option of making two brief telephone calls or sending two short faxes or e-mails. Care for passengers while waiting may be declined if the provision of the care would itself cause further delay. In case of more than 5 hours you are entitled to a refund of your ticket within seven days for the parts not used or for those parts already used if your flight no longer serves its purpose, and when relevant, a return flight to your first point of departure.

TurnTables Mon 10-Dec-12 15:28:11

I came back from Frankfurt this morning instead of last night due to cancellation because of snow. Now I thought they would have put me up in a hotel but they just gave me a camp bed in the airport. Is this right or wrong and if it is wrong how do I complain? I flew with Lufthansa.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now