Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious legal concerns, we would suggest you consult a lawyer.

Making a will as a single parent

(3 Posts)
2wwmadness Fri 07-Dec-12 09:45:31

Hello,
I am going through a divorce. My son is 7.5 months old.
His dad hasn't seen him since he was 8 weeks old. He wants to see him in a contact centre once the divorce has gone throught. He lives a 2.5 hour drive away from us.
I want to make a will were if the worst happens my son goes to my mum an dad. Keeping acsess with my ex-husband.
I want to keep costs down and wondered if I could do a DIY will stating this that (god forbid it ever needs to) stand up if the worst happened. I dot really wanna ask ex husband as its not worth contacting him unless I have to.
Thanks

Dawnporker Fri 07-Dec-12 14:59:32

You can't dictate what happens to your son after your death. That simply isn't possible. The best you can do is express a 'wish' in your will - ie the event of your death you want your son to reside with your parents. This would not be legally binding.

If you were to die then your sons future would be resolved through your parents, social services & his father. The presumption is that he'd be best off with his father. Grand Parents have limited rights in this scenario.

See a decent Family Law Solicitor asap - ideally one on the Childrens Panel.

2wwmadness Fri 07-Dec-12 17:53:25

Wow. That's outrageous. Even if his father has never seen him?
Thank ou for the advice. I will speak to my solicitor,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now