Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious legal concerns, we would suggest you consult a lawyer.

Rights of Women

(7 Posts)
OldLadyKnowsNothing Wed 05-Dec-12 17:05:32

I've seen several references to Rights of Women and they look like a brilliant resource. But they're based in London. Does anyone know if they know about Scots law?

IfYouCanMoveItItsNotBroken Wed 05-Dec-12 21:54:08

Hi, I'm a former solicitor in Scotland and I can't practice in England as they have lots of different laws. What area of law do you need help with? Although I may not be able to advise you, I may know whether the same laws apply in England.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Thu 06-Dec-12 00:15:27

Thanks for your reply. It's actually more of a general query, a friend is going through a horrific time with her ex dp and there are several court cases ongoing/to be gone through, and although she has great solicitors and fantastic support, sometimes it would be nice to point at a website and say, "See, this is what is most likely to happen."

In the meantime, I have discovered this forum which may prove helpful; what do you think?

OldLadyKnowsNothing Thu 06-Dec-12 00:18:54

PS, any idea how long it would take the PF to decide for definite not to prosecute a criminal case when there is absolutely no evidence to go on, and police and social work both say they have no concerns? (No charges have been made, but nasty allegations of a sexual nature.)

IfYouCanMoveItItsNotBroken Thu 06-Dec-12 01:00:49

You could try the forum but it doesn't look very busy! I've never used it but that doesn't mean it's not useful. Re the pf, it will not be prosecuted if there are no police charges brought. However, police can charge you for a crime years later (if there is sufficient evidence) and if the police did bring charges to pf you would probably have to chase them up to find out if the matter was dismissed (but you would certainly know if he/she was proceeding with prosecution).

IfYouCanMoveItItsNotBroken Thu 06-Dec-12 01:04:08

If you want to private mail me more details I can tell you what result I've seen in my (limited) experience, bearing in mind I have been having / watching / shouting at children since 2009 and haven't practiced since then!

OldLadyKnowsNothing Thu 06-Dec-12 02:03:45

Thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now