Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious legal concerns, we would suggest you consult a lawyer.

final hearing help please bit nervous and unsure

(8 Posts)
smiler01 Sun 02-Dec-12 16:33:25

Hi
I was wondering if anyone could offer some information or advice...My partner is representing himself and has a final hearing listed for half a day on thursday and were unsure as to what it will entail.

he says all previous hearings were very relaxed and the judge spoke to my partner asked questions which he answered and he was allowed to speak and mention things etc then obviously the judge spoke to his ex's barrister and then made decisions etc.

how does the final hearing work??? its been transferred to the magistrates court but were unsure if it is as relaxed as previous hearings where they stand at the desks and talk to the judge or if its alot more official. We have been told that there is a witness box and he is cross examined by her barrister but who cross examines his ex. does the magistres ask questions to get a good understanding or do they base their decisions on literally the cross examination.
My partner isnt great at remembering all the points he needs to make and has lots of bits of paper with certain points on that help he remember things he needs to say will he be able to refer to his notes.

Were getting ourselves in to a right old panic of what it will be like so if anyone has any opinions or information i would really appreciate it.

thank you

STIDW Mon 03-Dec-12 02:56:40

Is it a financial or children hearing?

smiler01 Mon 03-Dec-12 07:26:07

Sorry it's hearing for contact

pinguthepenguin Tue 04-Dec-12 15:11:34

I'd like to know the answer to this as well if poss. When undergoing cross examination in a family court, is it as brutal as a criminal court? I have visions of the other sides solicitor trying me up in knots, corroborating what lies ex has put in his statement (!) , or are they going through parts of your statement to establish truth etc? Thanks

cestlavielife Tue 04-Dec-12 15:55:09

final hearing was much same format as the other hearings for me

no one stood in a witness box.

smiler01 Tue 04-Dec-12 16:01:08

I've heard that too I wonder if it's different if final hearing is at a magistrate court

Collaborate Tue 04-Dec-12 16:58:18

It's more inquisitorial rather than adversarial. What the court is trying to acheive is an arrangement in the best interests of the child. Only really gets adversarial when there are disputed facts, but ultimately these cases are more about what's best for the child rather than what this or that parent has done in the past. If there were significant findings of fact to be made (such as domestic violence) there would have been a separate hearing for that.

pinguthepenguin Tue 04-Dec-12 23:43:30

Thanks collaborate! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now