Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious legal concerns, we would suggest you consult a lawyer.

Protecting my home if DP were to move in

(6 Posts)
StrictlyComeDancingDiva Sun 02-Dec-12 23:21:57

Thanks for your replies, am happy to consult a lawyer, was just interested to see if anyone had experience of this.

Collaborate Sun 02-Dec-12 19:07:19

Contributing to improvements doesn't automatically entitle someone to a share of a property. Can only acquire one expressly, or under a constructive or resulting trust. Very complex areas if law.

nocake Sun 02-Dec-12 14:30:17

Ask him to pay rent each month so he's a tenant. Put the rent into a separate account and use it to fund repairs to the house.

There's advice here.

NatashaBee Sun 02-Dec-12 14:28:43

If he contributed towards improvements, he would be entitled to ask for the cost of those back. You could either charge him a nominal amount of rent and have a rent book, or he could pay designated bills not related to the house - maybe food shopping and the cost of running a car? A lawyer is a good idea though to make sure everything is watertight.

HeathRobinson Sun 02-Dec-12 14:22:47

Why not see a lawyer by yourself, so you know exactly where you stand?

StrictlyComeDancingDiva Sun 02-Dec-12 09:16:49

Hello. It's slightly early in the relationship for me to be asking this, but I want to be aware of my options if the subject should arise in the future!

I own my home, it's mortgaged with a decent amount of equity. DP lives in rented with little savings.

So what would be the best way forward should we discuss him moving in?

Obviously my main priority would be to protect my home for me and my 3DC should it not work out. So is the best way to ask him to pay rent?

However, the house could do with upgrading, I cannot afford it on my salary alone, but a dual income would mean more cash available to do so. So if we discussed sharing a mortgage, I would still want protect the equity I arrived with, and I still have concerns of it not working and then being forced to sell to release back his investment.

Any advice gratefully received.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now