Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious legal concerns, we would suggest you consult a lawyer.

Harassment warn ings given by police

(6 Posts)
hellodave Fri 16-Nov-12 10:35:54

The harasment warning may or may not have stayed recorded depending on your force area....it may not be relevant though.

only in specific cases would you consider using an warning that was two years old when there has been no intervening act. The whole point of the harassment offence is as said above a "course of conduct" if the police were present evidence that a warning had been issued and nothing of note happened for two years it would be likley to be viewed as evidence that undermines the allegation of harassment.

the best thing you can do is view this as a new occurance if the harrasment starts again. if you are genuinely fearful that the harassment will start again the best thing you can do is make contact with the police about it. even if its just to say that you feel there are likley to be problems and the police do nothing other than record the fact that you called it will be a starting point for you to use as evidence. After that keep a diary, log every interaction thats made recording in as detailed a way as possible the time location and context of what was going on, record anything that was said to you and anything you say in return. record names of anyone you know was present at the time. with txt messages, emails, facebook etc keep copies, take screen shots record dates and times etc.

it seems like a lot of work and its not nice but there is no other way. the only other option is to report it to police at the point where you feel you have endured enough which may be weeks or months down the line. you will report it and inevitably the police will go and speak to them. in most cases the other side will quote times when the complainant (you) has been rude to them and the police will be left witha scenario of one word against the other. Their only option will be to look for evidence to see which side can be believed or discredited. a diary of exactly what happened where and when is a million times more useful than "at some point in the last 3 months they walked past me in the street and said something which had the word F@CK in it"

harassment is a horrible thing to go through and most police officers totally get that but without evidence (which only you can provide) the police will be unlikley to help you.

sorry for the long post...people getting harassed makes me angry!

happy for you to pm me if you need more advice.

Tiredtrout Thu 15-Nov-12 14:49:21

The previous warning would still be recorded but due to it two years since it was issued they would likely have to start again

Collaborate Wed 14-Nov-12 14:38:07

I would guess so but I couldn't be sure. you'd need to speak to the police about how long they keep these records for.

smiler01 Wed 14-Nov-12 13:53:48

Thank you

So it would stay on file then?

The reason I ask is my partners ex was given a harrasment warming just over 2 years ago and since then it's been relatively quiet as going thru courts/solicitors.

Now were coming to the stage that they are going to need to communicate re their children and contact if she was to become abusive again as she has in the past, constant nasty texts, Facebook messages calling constantly etc if the police were informed would they still see the previous warning on her file?

Thanks again smile

Collaborate Wed 14-Nov-12 12:57:38

Harassment Warnings have no legal force. They are of evidential use if there is a future prosecution, as harassment requires a course of conduct. The fact that a warning has been given gets put on the police database. There's no set expiry date.

smiler01 Wed 14-Nov-12 09:38:30

does anyone know how long harrasment warnings that are given to someone from the police lasts for?

I appreciate it's not like restraining orders that need to be applied for discharge etc. I just wondered how long it would be in place for?

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now