Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious legal concerns, we would suggest you consult a lawyer.

Will changing jobs after qualifying week affect my SMP from my current employer?

(3 Posts)
marigoldilocks Wed 23-Mar-11 17:42:31

Hello! Please could someone help if they have any experience with this?
I want to start a new job and have staying in my current job long enough to qualify for SMP. I got an email confirming my eligiblity and am 26 weeks so past the qualifying week. I want to work in my new job until the week before my due date.

I am worried about my current employer cancelling my SMP!!! Can they do this??? Is there any way that I can guarentee my SMP . They have sent an email confirming my approval and starting date (which I have asked to me my due date). I dont want to quit my job unless I have guarenteed SMP but I dont want to stay and have a new job lined up already for me to start.

I am really worried about them changing their minds about paying me SMP. Please hlep! What would you do??

nocake Wed 23-Mar-11 22:07:07

This website has some useful info - SMP Info

It says that if you have change employer after the qualifying week then you are entitled to SMP from that employer.

IzziesMummy Wed 23-Mar-11 23:17:02

I did this - I started a new job at 27 weeks pregnant and got SMP from my old employer. But be aware that your SMP will start early before your baby is born.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now