Cars that can fit 3 car seats

(19 Posts)
Mrsw28 Tue 07-Jun-16 17:55:13

Basically the thread title.

I'm looking for suggestions/advice/reviews about cars that can fit three car seats in the back - I'm meaning baby car seat/toddler car seat rather than boosters without back and sides.

I have read a few reviews that the Telegraph did on some MPVs but am yet to find any suggestions for estate cars and other 5 seater cars... maybe there aren't any?

I'm not too worried about the glamour, practicality wins every time for me (though I know DH cares what the car is to a certain degree).

Hopefully, some of you will be able to help me!

sixinabed Tue 07-Jun-16 19:08:22

May not be helpful but we have a Sharan and my parents have a Touran. They are very comfy for adults and children, plus you can still offer a lift to a friend or 2 if needs be. When we were looking (2011) we couldn't find any 5seaters that could fit the car seats in a row.

ChoudeBruxelles Tue 07-Jun-16 19:11:18

We had a Renault scenic and could get 3 seats in. The back seats all move independently so by putting the middle one forward and other two back you could get to buckles quite easily

KayJBee Tue 07-Jun-16 19:13:02

We have a Toyota verso. Does the job and one of the smaller mpvs.

AMR123456 Tue 07-Jun-16 19:15:10

I was just about to say scenic too!! My SIL & BIL laughed at me when I got it. Then realised their flashy Range Rover could only fit 2 full sized seats in the back!! My daughter then asked them why they'd bought a taxi(their car was black!!) smilesmile

Themoleandcrew Tue 07-Jun-16 19:16:17

We've got a scenic as well. It's actually ok. I hated it at first but have grown to love it.

LotsofDots Tue 07-Jun-16 19:17:49

We have an Smax. 3 full sized adult seat all with isofix. 2 more seats available in a fold down 3rd row if you need them for friends. Embrace the mpv, your kids will thank you for the space!

FreeButtonBee Tue 07-Jun-16 19:17:55

Xc90. Two rear facing britax dualfix plus a britax baby seat on a belted base.

Twooter Tue 07-Jun-16 19:22:50

Agree with s-max. Drives like a car, but can fit everyone in comfortably.

insideout Tue 07-Jun-16 20:03:36

We have a Peugeot 307 sw, 5 seater which can fit 3 car seats in. 2 x isofix and the middle standard 3 point seat belt. It has the anchors for 2 extra seats in the back but we love the HUGE boot for pram, bikes scooters etc

Lynnm63 Tue 07-Jun-16 20:41:30

We had a Chrysler grand caravan when twins were small. Seats seven with sliding door. Not sure if they still make them though. Have an xc90 now. Seats 7, two in back but proper size. Boot holds loads and it's safe being a Volvo.

Lynnm63 Tue 07-Jun-16 20:43:19

Chrysler was a grand voyager called the caravan in the us, not sure why I remembered that as I bought it in the UK!

crusoe16 Wed 08-Jun-16 10:40:29

We have a Discovery. You can just about get 3 seats in across the back. Using seat belt extenders makes getting them into the booster seats much easier when you've got three seats in.

onemouseplace Wed 08-Jun-16 10:44:19

C-Max (grand) here. We did have baby seat/ toddler seat and high back booster in the back and now have two high back boosters and a toddler seat. Bit of jiggling with the seat belts, but not too much hassle. Doesn't feel any different to driving a normal car to be honest.

babyblabber Wed 08-Jun-16 20:19:57

I researched this extensively when we had number 3 on the way and the truth is if you want a saloon style car you have to bring the actual three seats you have to try in the actual model of car. There are many variations/combinations that do work but a lot more that don't.

The easiest option is to find a car that has 3 individual seats in the back (known as the middle row in a 7 seater). Once I realised that I decided we may as well go the whole hog and get one that has isofix in all three seats in the middle row. There are big 7 seaters like the seat Alhambra, ford Galaxy etc and smaller ones like the Citroen c4 Picasso or Peugeot 5008. None of them look great but they are practical for a certain time in your life! We got the Peugeot. The boot is huge and the extra seats come in handy for picking up kids for play dates etc.

Mrsw28 Wed 08-Jun-16 21:18:51

Thank you for all your comments! After looking through the different models, we went to test drive a Renault Grand Scenic today and that's the one we're going to go for. It has individual seats in the middle row, that can be moved forward and backward independently and all have isofix. The rear two seats can also be used for car seats as they have three point seat belts.

As a PP suggested, I am embracing the MPV!

LotsofDots Thu 09-Jun-16 18:03:00

Sounds very similar to our Smax. Glad you have embraced the mpv love, it makes life much easier!

Buttwing Fri 10-Jun-16 10:36:56

I got the Mercedes ml big 4x4 I tried my three car seats in (one high back booster, two big throne ones) all fine they fitted. The only way I could do it was to but the thrones on the outside with the high back booster in the middle otherwise I would have struggle to get a baby into the middle seat. But what I didn't do was actually put the kids in. When I got home it was such a pain to get the seatbelt in for dd in the high back booster as there just wasn't enough room to fit my hand down (so many scraped knuckles!)

My advice- try actually putting the the kids in the car when you are checking if they fit not just the seats!

thisusernameisnotavailable Sat 18-Jun-16 23:10:36

Remove rear seats and install www.multimac.co.uk car seats

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now