newly pregnant with a 5th baby, bit worried

(39 Posts)
devoncreamtea Mon 10-Feb-14 17:49:08

Hello,

Feel like a bit of a wally for posting....just discovered I am newly pregnant. This will be my 5th child and unplanned. Always wanted 4 and now have 4 fab, wild and lovely children - 11, 6,5,3. Very happy mum, vaguely competent, really love it. Nothing to make me feel 'no way, I can't do it'
Anyway, if I am completely honest the thing that is making me worry is that I can't cope with other people's negative comments and assumptions. I had a bit of that with 4, but expect more with another. I know I shouldn't be bothered and it's my choice etc but it does feel upsetting. I would appreciate some sensible advice and to hear some experiences of 5.

Greenrememberedhills Tue 04-Mar-14 22:29:10

Ps people's comments are about them and their lives, not you. We all get them. Mainly from people who chose small families.

I'm always shocked at people believing that my large family costs them. It never has done, in fact the reverse, given my DH and I and both our two older kids are paying fairly substantial taxes.

ZingSweetMango Thu 06-Mar-14 21:02:53

I was told again just yesterday that "I'm mad".
I asked why? I don't think I am! we planned all of them and happy with our big family however difficult they can be, flooding the bloody toilet with enourmous poos

She apologised and offered: "I should have said brave."
I smiled and said "yeah, that sounds better!"wink

I am prepared for 3rd trimester and crappy questions about "have you not popped yet?" & "are you still here?" though.
I bought I t-shirt saying "I'll come out when I'm ready"
that will learn them!grin

MrsExtraOrdinary Thu 06-Mar-14 21:07:11

Congratulations to you too zing! thanks I can't wait to get a bfp for number 6. My sister was 6 yrs older and my brother 7 yrs younger. Growing up was quite lonely. I really wish the up side of larger families was better publicised.

elQuintoConyo Thu 06-Mar-14 22:06:37

DH is 3rd of 6. His Irish-French mother would just tilt her head to one side and stare through people when they made a stupid comment.

DH's oldest sibling has 5. DSil said, "we prayed for five gorgeous children and God delivered them". They are slightly religious, but that shuts people up!

Dfil was also 1 of 6.
DMil 5th of 15 grin
My DF is 4th of 9
DGM 1st of 9
DGF 3rd of 13

We have millions of cousins and playmates for our one dc.

Many congratulations thanks

ZingSweetMango Fri 07-Mar-14 06:14:17

quinto

that is genius! tilt and stare.
got it.grin
was any eyebrow raising involved?

Please send her a kiss from me, ok?

<practices tilt & stare. gets excited>

devoncreamtea Fri 07-Mar-14 19:55:27

Wow! Great families here - imagine 13!

Thanks for all your positive comments - and congrats to Zing.

elQuintoConyo Fri 07-Mar-14 22:43:28

I think the eyebrow came up if the eejit person was still running on, but usually they shut up or backtracked after the stare grin

Perhaps she should have run pregnancy assertion seminars or something!

MerylStrop Fri 07-Mar-14 22:47:45

I have three (and I am more than a little bit jealous of all of you who have or will soon have more)

Congratulations!

There are some brilliant responses on here should they be, I hope you enjoy using them.

elQuintoConyo Sat 08-Mar-14 06:53:27

I think the eyebrow came up if the eejit person was still running on, but usually they shut up or backtracked after the stare grin

Perhaps she should have run pregnancy assertion seminars or something!

emark Sat 08-Mar-14 07:36:34

how long were many of you able to 'hide' a 5th pregnancy?
currently almost 18weeks and only me and Dh know! - it was a contraceptive failure

hoping to get to 24 weeks before we become playground gossip

BikeRunSki Sat 08-Mar-14 07:44:49

I am one of a mere 4.
My mum used glibly tell people "oh yes, they were all mistakes" when they commented.
I don't think we were grin

mummyoffive1983 Mon 24-Mar-14 15:15:42

I have five. My children were 7, 8 4, 1 AND NEWBORN.
Now fourteen months on it is still tough. Sleep non existsnt. Holidays on hold.... but its great. I am proud to hsve them.
Howevrr people do comment. I've been asked if I have religious persuasions and that's why I have so many kids! I don't. Also people judge the sort of person you are and ive had doctors ask if they have same dad. They do!
So be prepared. My fifth was an accident. And I doubted whether I would manage especially when I split from his dad before he was born.
Good luck. I am still broody for another so it can't be that bad!

mummyoffive1983 Mon 24-Mar-14 15:18:43

Lol. Just one day wear really tight top and hold head high. I have five. Was gossip for a while. But I am happy. So stuff them!

Mrswellyboot Mon 24-Mar-14 15:18:50

I only have one but no way would I let them upset me and you sound like you're a great mum so feck them grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now