Does anyone else get the "I had a bag" feeling about dc

(24 Posts)
OhWhatNoooow Tue 21-Jan-14 12:11:32

I have 5 and regularly count them now. This began after an incident when DC4 was a baby. We had gone to Warwick castle for the day, had a browse in the gift shop on the way out, started walking down the exit path when I had a thought, 'hold on, wasn't I pushing a pushchair on the way in??' Ran back to get DC4, trying to nonchalantly walk out of the gift shop.....blush

nauticalbutnice Wed 15-Jan-14 13:02:32

Oh yes.

My four are numbered too blush

The school playground is the worst, I'm usually picking up a friend's DC, (she answers to 5 now grin) and they all dive off in different directions.

MultipleMama Wed 15-Jan-14 09:46:42

Yup. Only my 5 year old likes to spike up my heartrate by randomly saying, "mama, Do missing!" Especially at the playground or supermarker blush. My dad left me in car once and only told mama about it afterwards (after 10 minutes of not noticing I was there!) because he felt guilty. DH has actually forgot once. Doing nursery run (putting youngest 3 DC in car), I was home, I walked in living room and saw DS1 sat on the sofa ready for school. "Where's your vava?" "School run." 2 minutes later a flushed DH runs through the door. Needless to say he has not done it since. Now he head counts!

Has anyone seen The Pacifier movie with Vin Diesel? We need one of those devices; red 1, red, 2, red baby etc haha.

LeafyGreen13 Tue 14-Jan-14 22:48:04

I was rushing to nursery one morning, got all the kids in the car and was about to drive off when DD aged 2 appeared around the front of the car. Awful, awful moment. I check and double check now.

mummyto2boysandagirl3 Tue 14-Jan-14 22:36:26

Night lark we use bright coloured clothing too smile the older 2 tend to run off in opposite directions so makes it much easier to spot where they r

Quangle Tue 14-Jan-14 22:29:27

Yes and I only have two. If ever I am without them I have that nagging feeling that I've left something important on a train.

NightLark Tue 14-Jan-14 22:26:55

Yellow t-shirts. It's the way forward. Only way I can keep visual check on my three in a park...

lalamumto3 Tue 14-Jan-14 22:24:53

I call mine 1, 2 and 3. Once at school I said come on number 3 to my youngest and one of the Dads responded, as he was number 3 as a child. It really made me laugh smile

CrispyFB Tue 14-Jan-14 22:22:17

All the time and DC4 isn't due for another two months! We only messed up once for about a minute - left him in the car when we were visiting a friend. I think we both thought the other one had him and was dealing with him - I suspect it would be less likely to happen if we were on our own! It was literally a minute or less before we realised, and I think the shock means we've been a lot more careful since!!

mummyto2boysandagirl3 Tue 14-Jan-14 22:18:27

So glad it's not just me I have 3 and constantly checking I have them all/r all strapped in the car/r all dressed etc I always feel like iv forgot something especially on school run there's just so many bags lol

Procrastreation Tue 14-Jan-14 17:52:35

Mine respond to their number grin .

I'll randomly yell: 1 ..... 2 .... 3 .... 4 .... And get them to yell back at the appropriate number.

Apart from the pesky blighters think it's funny to play with my mind by swapping places, giving the baby a deep bass voice or claiming that number 3 has been flushed away hmm grin

imip Tue 14-Jan-14 17:47:46

A register would be lost on me as I never remember their names. They are all girls and I call them every other name apart from their own, I was one of five and am quite used to it. Except of course that I had three brothers and one sister and I was a bit offended at being called a boy.

If I've been speaking to my sister, I will sometimes call one of the dds by her name also!

Discomama Tue 14-Jan-14 17:47:20

Head count here too! Have twins plus an extra wink

Threetofour Tue 14-Jan-14 17:41:07

Ha ha loving these replies especially the dark car I do exactly the same!

Annunziata Tue 14-Jan-14 17:31:30

Yes, and the oldest is now 23 blush There's no hope, is there?! grin

DoNotDisturb Tue 14-Jan-14 17:06:16

I hate the dark nights as can't see them in the back of the car and have to ask the bigger ones whether the baby is definitely in his seat ha ha. I feel like a bad shepherd trying to herd sheep most days grin

Threetofour Tue 14-Jan-14 13:54:46

Oh good it's very common! Maybe we all need one of those clickers that bouncers have for nightclubs!

CarriesPawnShop Tue 14-Jan-14 13:46:06

Used to do a register as we left the house as I couldn't see all the faces in the rear view mirror and was worried about leaving someone behind. Think Home Alone!

WeAreSix Tue 14-Jan-14 13:45:30

I have 4 and I'm always counting them smile

offblackeggshell Tue 14-Jan-14 13:44:34

I only have 3, but head counts are still a daily necessity, even now that they are 14, 11 and 9. blush

imip Tue 14-Jan-14 13:43:07

Yes smile I frequently do head counts. Much easier that way. They are now 7, 5, 3 and 1 (2 next week), and I do feel like I am always leaving one behind. I'm not, I just need to do a head count!

Sometimes my friends do a head count for me to see they are all there because they see me do it all the time!

Threetofour Tue 14-Jan-14 13:42:58

Oh good glad on not totally neurotic ;) I used to get it with 3 but now it's out of control!!!

EducatingNora Tue 14-Jan-14 13:39:45

Yes. I get it quite a lot and I only have 3. With 4 I wouldn't know which was was up.

Threetofour Tue 14-Jan-14 13:38:09

Dc4 is 3 months old others are 6 just 4 & 22 months I constantly get the feeling I've lost one of the kids, either that I haven't strapped one in the car or left one at the side of the road etc, I haven't actually ever done it btw!! Sometimes I even get it after they have gone to bed like "shit!! Did I leave dc4 in the car....

Is this just a settling in thing does everyone get it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now