juggling homework, bed time and clubs

(14 Posts)
lorisparkle Wed 06-Nov-13 11:29:44

we have 3 ds and ds1 and 2 are now starting with evening clubs, more homework and ds3 still needs to go to bed at a reasonable time. so how do you do it. any examples of evening/afternoon routines appreciated .smile

imip Wed 06-Nov-13 15:22:57

My dds are almost 7, 5, 3 and 1. I put everyone to bed at 8. Younger ones fall asleep straight away (ish) and older ones read. They all wake at different times and they are then bathed, dress, homework etc. etc. they would bath/shower every other day.

Waking up at different times kind of gives me the chance of one on one time as some will be asleep or having breakfast with dh. Not perfect but it does work for is. Dh works long hours so the dcs don't see him at night. This is when we do homework etc etc.

LongStory Fri 08-Nov-13 21:43:19

I have 5 aged 13, 11, 8, 4 and 4. The younger ones have more clubs and the older ones have more homework. I have arranged the club schedules to fit around my and DH's working week, and three days a week we double up so there's always an adult at home. We also have an au pair which really helps with flexibility and I have tried where possible to get them to things at the same time, especially swimming. We have a keyboard teacher who comes to the house which is excellent.

In my limited experience the peak club years are 6-10. We never went overboard but it's nice to give them opportunities to try new things - when they get older this can drop off. It can cost a lot but I am glad that I have kept working so i can just about afford this.

lorisparkle Sat 09-Nov-13 09:31:01

wow, I'm impressed with your organisation. my dh works late often so it is me trying to do it all. i find it is the evening clubs that are a struggle is it impacts on tea, homework and bed. i think i may have to do a boys only early evening tea. any other tips appreciated . smile

Bedsheets4knickers Mon 11-Nov-13 23:06:11

This thread has just made me panic lol and decide that 2 is enough x

NoAddedSuga Mon 11-Nov-13 23:11:03

Its made me realise that one is enough!

LongStory Tue 12-Nov-13 21:53:56

smile man up ladies!! (alternatively I totally agree) wink

AngryBuddha Tue 12-Nov-13 23:46:43

16,11,9,7 and 7. Homework, spelling, reading done in the morning, easier that way. They also help each other with reading and spellings! For points!!
Nights that have clubs either slow cooker which means everything is done just need to dish. Or if having to do a quick turn around. (30 minutes between clubs etc.) hotdogs, packed dinner ie sandwiches etc With a hot school dinner in the day!

lorisparkle Wed 13-Nov-13 14:01:20

someone suggested mornings for homework etc but they are not much calmer ! i do think the slow cooker might be a good idea though . thanks.

Calm mornings don't just happen, you have to make them happen! Get up 45 minutes earlier.

We do all music practice in the morning, plus finishing homework when needed.

NAR4 Wed 13-Nov-13 20:54:40

I have 5dc. After school clubs are always difficult to be honest. Now my oldest 3 are all teenagers I don't need to take them all to each others clubs but they do now all do different clubs to each other, which causes different problems. My youngest 2dc are 8 months and 2.5 years and go to bed at 6.30pm.

Wednesday is my hardest day. Dc2 has a 5.30 ballet class, which requires us leaving home only 15 minutes after returning from the school run. I feed the little ones a cooked meal at lunch time and prepare a packed lunch and all their bedtime things in advance. As soon as we get back from the school run (4.45), I sit the little ones down to start their packed lunch. We always need to leave before they finish, so they finish it while we wait outside the ballet lesson for the class to finish. I also get them ready for bed while there and give the baby a bedtime breastfeed last thing before leaving. On a good night at least 1 of the little ones will fall asleep on the way home, making bedtime easier when I get back. On a bad night I struggle to keep them quiet enough not to disrupt the class and the car journey each way is done with lots of crying from over tired and hungry little ones who just want a story and snuggle up before bed.

Due to the age of my older dcs most of their other clubs are late enough for me to drop them off and go home and my dh collects them on the way home from work. Its always a juggle fitting it all in and I just couldn't do a lot of it without my dh.

NAR4 Wed 13-Nov-13 20:58:07

Forgot to say that I often feed the teenagers, my dh and myself, after the little ones have gone to bed, on weekdays. They just have a snack when they get home from school, to keep them going.

bsc Wed 13-Nov-13 21:02:57

Can you do any swaps with other parents that have younger siblings in same year as yours? So eg monday you take the Y3s to brownies, thy take the Y1s to beavers... etc

lorisparkle Wed 13-Nov-13 22:28:45

thanks everyone, i do think i need to be more organised so will be taking on board everyone's suggestions and giving it a go!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now