Best board games for lots of players?

(15 Posts)
JumpingJackSprat Tue 18-Dec-12 20:25:00

rapidough is a very good one for kids and adults.

Aethelfleda Tue 18-Dec-12 19:53:42

3b1g: yes the basic Carcassonne game's for five BUT (plug your ears if you don't want to shop!) ebay sell spare sets of "meeples" (the little wooden men ) in lots of extra colours. So you can get up to eight players at a time (though that works best if you have two sets of tiles) any more than eight and its too long between turns and strategy goes out the window.

3b1g Fri 07-Dec-12 07:30:32

I'm glad to see the Fluxx recommendation: we are getting DS1 the Space themed one for Christmas! smile

3b1g Fri 07-Dec-12 07:29:23

Carcassonne is good but the basic game is only for 5 players.

Stepmumm Fri 07-Dec-12 07:24:36

What are good games for competitive children who want to win! I'm thinking maybe team games are better?

Aethelfleda Wed 05-Dec-12 21:45:43

My lot (3 of mine and their 3 cousins, ages 5-10) love Carcassonne (a tile board game where you "build" a board map with castles and roads and put little men on them to score points. Very visual and no reading required once you know the rules.

Fluxx is great fun (once they can read: best for age 6+): several theme versions of this card game. Our favourite version is pirate fluxx (me hearties!)

Another (card) game is Kinder Bunnies (up to 5 players) : nicking carrots off the other bunnies and playing cards/dice rolling. Comes with two decls in the pack, sky blue is reading-free and when they get older add in the yellow cards.

Robo Rally is great (up to six players): board game where you move your little robot over a maze of conveyor belts, they all bump into each other, fall down pits, get squashed etc. bit more complicated so probably 7yrs +.

qwirkle Cubes is good and can be played with tons of players... No reading needed, just colour matching.

Ooh and tantrix! There are several varients but the standard game is up to 4 players. No reading needed once rules known.

Oops, appear to be a game addict <blushes>

3b1g Wed 05-Dec-12 20:25:48

How about Uno Roboto: 2-10 players, it says age 7+ but I'm sure the 6 y old would have no trouble with it.

OliviaPeaceOnMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 05-Dec-12 20:20:13

grin at eating the board games or the children for that matter

There are six children. Age range 13, 11, 10, 8, 6 and 1. [phew]
These all sound fab, off to Google but always happy to hear more
Thanks again

3b1g Wed 05-Dec-12 19:53:16

ate? grin I haven't (yet) eaten any of our board games.

3b1g Wed 05-Dec-12 19:52:15

How many of them are there? And what age range? We are a family of six who love board games; these ate some of our favourites:
Articulate for kids: 4-20 players, age 6+.
Uno Extreme: 2-6 players, age 7+.
Wobally: 1-6 players, age 5-12 (or adults after a couple of glasses of wine).
Lego Creationary: 3-8 players, age 7+.
Cadoo: 4+ players, 7+.

colleysmill Wed 05-Dec-12 19:43:46

Our family favourite for 6 players is an old 1970's Waddington game called Rat race.

The very best thing about it is even if you become bankrupt you just start again so noone is sat out for ages like monopoly. Our copy is ancient but I think you can still buy it on eBay and other such sites

OliviaPeaceOnMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 05-Dec-12 19:34:05

grin grin grin

OliviaPeaceOnMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 05-Dec-12 19:05:45

Ooh, will have a look, thank'ee kindly <doffs cap>
Any more from the evening crowd?

upstart68 Wed 05-Dec-12 10:58:22

coppit is fun

OliviaPeaceOnEarthMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 05-Dec-12 10:55:48

Am looking for inspiration for nieces/nephews who're part of a large brood
TIA

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now