if you have more than 2 dcs how do you manage when illness hits?

(8 Posts)
liveinazoo Mon 12-Nov-12 05:45:00

ive hit the wallsad

we have had round after round of sleepless nights with bloody coughs and colds

ds was sick friday night,he still not better and now the dds have "joined in"

i havent slept more than a couple of daytime catnaps since friday eve and am exhausted,both physically and emotionally

some body,anybody do you have a plan during such times

i need advice urgently.i cant keep going much longer on constant nursing duties.i dont have family or friends that can help and am desperate for ideas!

MrRected Mon 12-Nov-12 05:52:41

There isn't much you can do really.

I have three DC and when they were younger it did feel as if we went through phases or tag-teaming it. I can remember being in one isolation room with DC2 waving to DH in another isolation room with DC1. Both kids were spewing and pooing, horrendously ill on IV drips. No sooner than they were discharged, I came down with it and then DH came down with it. That was before DD was even born.

The best advice I have had (after we nearly lost DD to RSV Bronchiolitis as a newborn) is to ensure that hygiene at home is scrupulous. We kept a hospital grade hand disinfectant in all bathrooms and the kitchen for a few years and taught the children how to wash their hands properly.

FWIW once they are all a bit older, it does tail off. We managed to get through the swine flu with only 3/5 of us infected.

Hope it all improves soon.

liveinazoo Mon 12-Nov-12 05:58:01

im impressed 2 avoided that one-mine all had it then as they powered up i got it!

i hadnt even the strength to shout and chaos reigned an living standards degenerated!

Vickles Mon 12-Nov-12 19:10:58

Someone recommended 'Floradix, which is a multi vitamin in liquid form, suitable for all the family. Amazon sell it, much cheaper than Holland and Barratt.

liveinazoo Mon 12-Nov-12 20:11:18

i tried kindervittel by same people-cost £30 a week for all my kids!shock

NAR4 Tue 13-Nov-12 12:27:50

I have always had the rule with my children that if you're ill then you stay in your room, away from your siblings. This seems to help prevent it spreading to them all, or at least delays the spread, so only one or two of them are ill at once. Luckily it is rare for me to get ill with anything, which helps enormously.

Doesn't help you at the moment though, sorry. Hope your household is all well again soon.

liveinazoo Tue 13-Nov-12 17:09:28

thanks nara4

i wish the girls had individual rooms,im sure that would help at times like these

NAR4 Wed 14-Nov-12 14:05:53

Mine don't have their own rooms either. I just sanction one of them the quaretine (don't know how to spell that) room and the others have to all bunk up together for a while.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now