What changes are you experiencing in September

(18 Posts)
MUM2BLESS Wed 05-Sep-12 19:50:16

Thanks to everyone.

Son went to paralympics. Was suppost to return to school at 10pm, but did not get back until almost midnight.

When there is a lot going on we need to art of delegation.

Never a dull moment!!!

Juule Tue 04-Sep-12 22:56:40

"larger family, larger glass of wine"
Ooh I like that. Do you mind if I pinch it? grin

LongStory Tue 04-Sep-12 22:35:17

Hi there I am doing my nut here !!! Just back from holiday and overbooked for the Paralympics (3rd and final major family gathering going tomorrow, missing first day of school oops!).

Plus DH started a new job and is now working FT so am handing over to new nanny who started last week to cover my working days. My youngest DTs (3) are starting at the school nursery in the mornings too so this is a lot of big changes. Am having to fit in getting 5 kids ready for school in between things... So a few changes.

Worst of all the DILs are staying (see above) and commenting at every stage on my level of shoddy organisation over the back-to-school preparations. Every comment seems to have a little jibe.

Still, I feel that I have eked every bit of educational and fun opportunity out of the olympics and paralympics, had a great active cheap holiday and it's been a summer to remember to ever. I am not going to let anyone ruin that!! Plus the nanny is fab.

Perhaps our motto should be: larger family, larger glass of wine. Especially in early September.

BadRoly Tue 04-Sep-12 08:57:13

4dc here - dc1 started at secondary school this morning. Dc2&3 are back tomorrow and dc4 starts nursery next Tuesday. I will have 2.5 hours a day all to myself every day - first time since dc1 was born!

lljkk Netherlands Tue 04-Sep-12 08:51:36

4 DC: aged 4, 8, 10 & 12.
4yo is in uniform today, he misses nursery, doesn't quiet get he won't be going back. I can't quite make him understand about changing for PE kit, either.

12yo going to new (for him) school 10 miles away, checking on train times, make sure his phone has credit, all kit.

8yo may be in same class as girl from the family that threatened to beat up 12yo the other day, have to chat to HT ASAP about the situation.

Lots to do!!

MUM2BLESS Mon 03-Sep-12 12:25:49

how many kids have you got llykk? and their ages?

lljkk Netherlands Mon 03-Sep-12 12:15:30

I am quietly hiding my head in the sand & pretending it isn't coming. grin

I have a schedule of things to do, projects and so on.

Tomorrow I will have a blitz & make sure I have everything I can think of that they need for school, I can think about me after I get that sorted.

MUM2BLESS Mon 03-Sep-12 09:29:30

Still waiting for Ofsted call.

MUM2BLESS Mon 03-Sep-12 09:28:55

Good morning.

Got up early as one of my sons was off to see the paralympics, school trip. back 10pm.

Another has gone to do a maths test (going into 6th form).

I have manage to do some house work this morning. I am also doing paperwork. Its very quiet as two are still in bed.

All systems go tomorrow as I start back cm. What happening for you today and tomorrow?

slipperandpjsmum Sun 02-Sep-12 19:56:02

Thanks for the tips. Following advice from another thread I have ordered a whiteboard to keep track of what is going on.

I do work f/t so do have something to take my mind off him starting school a bit, but its such a massive thing isn't it.

Totally agree MUM. I attended my third leavers assembly and found it really emotional but as you say different. I must say I am dreading the last one - but that is quite a while off yet.

MUM2BLESS Sun 02-Sep-12 14:42:10

Just thinking is it harder to face changes with an only child or with more than one child.

I attended my third leavers assembly, each time it was emotional. you gain experience but each child is different.

MUM2BLESS Sun 02-Sep-12 14:36:01

slipperandpjsmum I send you a big hug. I remember when my youngest was starting school, I felt a bit emotional!! I would encourage you to do something for yourself to take your mind off the empty house. I started childminding during this time so it was a bit easier.

My tips would be:

keep a copy of their time table, especially the senior school one. One of my sons has a container which he put his books in. He know where to go to get his books for school. You may need to have a notice board with important events etc. I helped my senior school kids with getting books etc together to start then they took responsibility afterwards.

Changes are not always easy but sometimes necessary. Take one step at a time. Everything will be just fine, just you wait and see smile

As a busy working mum I dont like to be stressed therefore I am always planning ahead.

slipperandpjsmum Sat 01-Sep-12 22:19:44

Oh I am bracing myself for quite a few changes this sept. One starts school, one just left and entering higher ed and one starting secondary school. Feel quite stressed for them with all these big changes, also feel stressed for me as I attempt to keep track of 3 lots of PE kits! Dreading when cookery lessons start! And most of all I am sad that my youngest is starting school sad

MUM2BLESS Sat 01-Sep-12 19:43:29

Juule Sorry I didn't mean you were lazy. no worries about that.

I think their is so much demands on families today compared to years ago.

Juule Sat 01-Sep-12 19:20:57

Sorry I didn't mean you were lazy. Just commenting after noticing that my own children tend to focus on themselves more than the whole. Not that they are particularly selfish, it's just the way it is I suppose.

Umm think I'll leave and stop digging a bigger hole grin

Juule Sat 01-Sep-12 19:18:14

"Could it be because I was too busy playing and mum and dad did the hard work."

Probably wink

MUM2BLESS Sat 01-Sep-12 15:32:05

Me again. I also will ensure that I take time out of myself in all of this.

What are you doing to ensure you take time out for yourself in the busy times?

MUM2BLESS Sat 01-Sep-12 15:30:25

Hello Everyone

I have four kids 8 11 13 and 16. also a childminder of six.

I am preparing myself for the change in routine which will take place when the kids go back to school.

At present I have may two list of things to do for my personal use and also for my business use.

My oldest is going into sixth form in Sept and my third is starting senior school.

I getting ready to iron on name tags, transfer badge from my oldest to the third childs blazer.

I have also done to check list for three out of four kids to do so we can prepare for school.

I also have to make adjustment for cm too. One starting senior school and one going into full time sometime in September.

What are you preparing for and what tips can you share. I am all for making any adjustments which will make life earsier.

I am one of seven and from what I can remember it was never this busy in my house. Could it be because I was too busy playing and mum and dad did the hard work.

Thanks for you time ........... I am watching this space [space]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now