Italian families / playgroups in Edinburgh

(11 Posts)
Scotlian Mon 29-Mar-10 16:03:52

Hello buongiorno

I'm Italian, married to a Scot, with a 1yr old DS and (gulp) twins on the way. About to move back to Edinburgh and wondering if anyone knows of/would like to start a group for kids and parents to meet up per parlare italiano insieme? Cosi' noi ciacoliamo magari bevendo del caffe' decente e allo stesso tempo aiutiamo i nostri figli a diventare bilingui. Un buon 2x1, no?

jojothesheep Sat 01-May-10 20:27:52

Ciao

I am English, but I'm married to an Italian. We have children, age 4 and 18 months. The children are bilingual, but mostly speak English.

We live in Kirkintilloch near Glasgow. Have you found a group or other families near you? I haven't found anyone else raising children bilingually in Italian round here!

Scotlian Wed 05-May-10 20:40:58

Ciao Jojo

I had given up on anyone answering this thread so thank you!

No joy yet but we are in the middle of moving down from Orkney (!) and looking for a house to live in before twins arrive in October (!!!) so haven't been looking too hard... there's an interesting website, if you google "bilingualism matters" that's its name, I'm planning to contact them for tips and advice. And failing anything else maybe start an Italian/English bilingual playgroup group, hopefully there would be enough people interested?

Does your partner speak to the children in Italian? Do they speak Italian in Italy? It's a tricky one isn't it, you don't want to force them and make them hate the language. Hmm.

Will let you know any updates and will be glad to hear your experience

ElrondsMum Tue 02-Aug-11 16:43:57

I know this is an old thread but I am Italian living in Edinburgh with Scot hubby and a 3 and half yrs old boy. I want him to grow up bilingual but it's quite difficult for me to speak Italian all the time. A playgroup would really help if there are people interested.

interdallanascita Thu 29-Sep-11 13:23:17

Hello there, I am Scottish living in Italy with a bilingual 2 year old. Did you find/start anything in Edinburgh? I'd be happy to join in or meet per un caffè or a run around the park when I'm back for the holidays. You're probably sorted now but if I were to move back to Edinburgh I'd get in touch with the Italian Institute for starters.

I'm lucky over here as I have English-speaking friends with kids the same age, and my partner is being great about speaking (imperfect) English with our son, but it still feels like a big responsibility to make sure he learns the language so he can communicate with half of his family!

In bocca al lupo

meravigliosa Thu 08-Mar-12 18:16:53

Hi, I am Scottish, live in Edinburgh married to an Italian Scot and we are trying to speak Italian to our 5 month old daughter. I know this is an old thread and I may not have sufficient language to be someone you'd want to meet up with, but if you are still on this thread please feel free to PM me

lee77c Thu 10-May-12 11:30:00

Hi, I just saw your message from March. I'm married to a 2nd generation Italian, I lived in Italy for a few years and speak Italian (not so good anymore though!). I'm really keen for my son (21 months) and daughter (2 weeks!) to grow up speaking Italian but there doesn't seem to be anything organised in the Edinburgh area....maybe we can start something! Let me know if you'd like to meet up for a coffee sometime.
Hopefully see you soon!
Lisa

lee77c Thu 10-May-12 11:31:07

Probably best to email me directly actually.....my email address is lisacarelli@gmail.com.
smile

PapaInglese Tue 18-Sep-12 20:47:31

I'm another late arrival on this thread, in a similar position. My little boy, who recently turned 2, has an Italian mum and an English dad.

He speaks English and Italian at home and we would like him to have the chance to hang out, play and chat with other kids who are in the same position.

If anyone is interested in arranging playdates, or even some kind of Italian school at the weekends, please get in touch!

tetleytea Thu 04-Oct-12 13:05:38

Hi, I've just moved to Edinburgh and have a 6 yr old daughter (Scottish mum-Italian dad). We were living in Italy until 2 months ago.

Would love to meet/try to start something up so the kids can hang out together. smile

I've just emailed lee77c about it.

Get in touch and vediamoci!

manuela74 Sat 10-Aug-13 19:55:44

Hi Everyone,
just to let you know that we have an Italian Playgroup going on in Edinburgh. We meet monthly and the next meeting will be on the 7th of September from 2.30pm to 4.30pm at the Pilmeny Youth Centre 44 Buchanan St, Edinburgh, Midlothian EH6 8RF (http://www.pilmeny.co.uk/) We have play equipment for children included a bouncy castle. Free On street Parking.
We ask you a contribution of £2.50 per family to cover the cost of the hall plus tea/coffee and biscuits.
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now