Portuguese playgroups?

(50 Posts)
vdpmum Thu 19-Feb-09 09:19:28

Does anyone know of playgroups/classes for Portuguese-speaking or bilingual children in London, preferably North London? The consulate offer no advice, but there must be something out there? If not, is anyone interested in setting something up?

TwinkleToes76 Thu 19-Feb-09 09:39:57

Hi

are you looking for European Portuguese or Brazilian? My DD is half Brazilian and after MUCH searching we've found a group in Camden that is in the beginning stages of setting up regular gatherings for their bi-lingual kids to keep up their Portuguese and keep in touch with their Brazilian culture. The kids are mainly around 5/6 years old i think but there are a few of us with younger ones (my daughter is 16 months) who will hopefully get it together to do more of a playgroup type thing.

If it is Brazilian Portuguese you're looking for then these websites helped us: www.abrir.org.uk/ and www.breacc.org/. The first site helped us get in touch with the Camden group and i know there are some already established ones elsewhere in North London.

vdpmum Thu 19-Feb-09 10:13:39

I'm actually European Portuguese... My son is only 5 months, but am concerned about teaching him to speak properly and to read/write -- so any kind of support is welcome, even if it is not strictly European Portuguese. I'll have a look at the Camden group as that would suit us, especially if you would like to do a playgroup-type thing!

ManIFeelLikeAWoman Thu 19-Feb-09 10:17:46

It's a long trek, I know, but I can't believe there is nothing in Stockwell or Vauxhall ... biggest Portuguese community outside of Portugal, I think!

TwinkleToes76 Thu 19-Feb-09 12:29:51

LB of Lambeth is full of Portuguese. About half of the pupils at the Wyvil Schoo/nursery are from Portuguese speaking families and they run after school language classes. It might be worth calling them for some ideas, or, i know this might sound a bit funny, going to one of the cafes around South Lambeth Road at school closing times, they fill up with mums and kids who might be able to point you in the right direction of some activities for younger children, even if they are on the other side of London!

If you want me to add you to the email list for the Camden group, let me know your email address...

MPP Sun 08-Mar-09 00:19:48

Hi
I am also brazilian, have a 2 y old toddler and we live in south west london. My little boy is speaking quite a few words in Portuguese but i would love to meet other portuguese speaking mums and babies. Did any of you find a suitable playgroup? I found one in walthamstow but is very far for me.
Thanks!

TwinkleToes76 Sun 08-Mar-09 18:48:41

Hi MPP

we are trying to get a camden playgroup going, but that is still very far for you to go - if you scroll down the thread titles, there is one from November 2008 started by Jabuti who was in Greenwich and trying to start a playgroup, is that still too far for you?

jabuti Mon 16-Mar-09 18:19:37

hi twinkle! hi all!

myself and another mom are meeting every tuesday. but it is greenwich...

cookiemuncher Mon 23-Mar-09 11:57:25

I am interested in the Camden playgroup - could you please send me some more information.
I am half portuguese and have no portuguese family members living in the UK but would like to keep the portuguese culture strong for my daughter (she's 8 months old). Thanks.

rosemama Fri 17-Apr-09 12:19:19

Hi ladies

I am Brazilian and living near greenwich. I would like to meet other Brazilian ladies with children as i would like my son to develop his Portuguese.

Hope to meet you in Greenwich if you still meeting on a regular basis.

melada Sat 01-May-10 12:24:11

Hi all,

It's a while since the last posts were written but I was wondering if any Portuguese nurseries of playgroups have been found?
I am based in North London and would like my 19 month old daughter to be able to speak Portuguese with other children.
My husband's family are not in the UK and my Portuguese is 'conversational' at best!
The possibility of a Camden group is of interest..
I can't find any Portuguese nurseries online.
Looking forward to hearing from you, thanks

TwinkleToes76 Wed 05-May-10 10:08:34

Hi Melada

The Camden group sadly did not really materialise! So we're still looking around too. Where abouts are you in North London?

ShannaNaiana Fri 25-Jun-10 10:16:04

Hi!

Im pretty much bilingual - Portuguese and English - and I really want my 2month old daughter to be the same (I know she's very small but its never too early!), so pleease let me know of any possible groups. Im in north london too but willing to travel within reasonable distance.

if anyone wants to discuss starting our own meetup I'd love to hear frm u too - my email is smarrinan@hotmail.com. My friend has a portuguese cafe in Camden and it would be very easy to arrange weekly meetings there, for example.

The 'contact a member' facility doesnt seem to work for most people so maybe posting email addresses here is the way forward?

thanks!

Shanna

vdpmum Tue 24-Aug-10 19:42:54

Hi,
I started this thread just after my eldest son was born and now have another boy!
I have since moved to SE London and am still looking for a Portuguese language playgroup for my boys. Amazingly, there appears to be no support from the consulate despite an enormous Portuguese population in Lambeth We live in Dulwich and are now considering setting one up ourselves...
Would anyone be interested?

KMSR Fri 27-Aug-10 20:23:29

Hi yes we'd be really interested in something in the Dulwich area- our daughter is 21months and dad is Portuguese & she will hopefully turn out bilingual, would be really nice for her to have other Portuguese language input as there's no other family here to speak to her. Please lets meet up and talk about it!

DaniUK Wed 01-Sep-10 23:27:27

Ola!
My name is Daniela, I am a Brazilian qualified Teacher (QTS in the UK), with lots of experience teaching children form kindergarten to primary school. I was very interested reading your posts, as I have plans in opening a biligual nursery in North London area, near Kilburn/Queens Park or so. I am a Bacheor in Education, bilingual myself and with lots of experience as I am a EFL Teacher. I would like some feedback about this project and what really is interesting to parents in this moment: drop-in nursery, regular hours or playgroups. Maybe I can help you all! If anybody has interest in this project, please, get in touch! I would like to hear from parents in need of bilingual (Portuguese/English) education or even business partners. If I have a certain number interested, I could set up something for you.

Obrigada.

ricardos Fri 03-Sep-10 15:30:31

hi daniuk,

i been looking for a nursery or somewhere for my 18 months son to hear and learn a bit more Portuguese very difficualt to find any where there is one place that i found in willesden green but is full.

Would really like to hear from you could you send me a e-mail at ricardo.santos@hotmail.co.uk

Obrigado

ricardos Sun 05-Sep-10 16:26:02

Hi Daniela,

When you got a chance could you drop me a e-mail would like to have a chat with regards your ideia for business I'm fnding very difficualt to teach my son portuguese although he speaks a few words e spends the all day with mum and for obvious reason i would like him to hear and speak more portuguese.
I'm Portuguese with a 18 month old biligual son(but i'm not the mother wich you may have realised i'm the father) mummy is Irish.

look forward to hear from you maybe we can meet and have a chat i live in cricklewood.

Thanks
Ricardo

TwinkleToes76 Tue 07-Sep-10 20:45:51

Daniela - I'd be interested too for my 3 year old daughter who is bi-lingual English and Brazilian Portuguese. We're in NW London.

vdpmum Thu 09-Sep-10 09:37:52

Hi everyone,

I posted a message above and am now in the process of setting up a Portuguese playgroup for 0-5s in Dulwich/Herne Hill (likely venue is Herne Hill, near Lido/train station). We have backing from Lambeth Council -- they have a coordinator working to support Portuguese-speaking families, and there may even be cash available to help us too, as they do not have activities on this side of Lambeth yet.

The council coordinator is keen to meet with families to find out what we need from them -- ie a native-speaking coordinator, teaching materials etc. I am arranging a meeting with the coordinator in the next week or two, with a view to setting up the group next month -- please get in touch if you are interested in coming to the meeting and/or to the group.

You can post a reply here, or email me at clarafmarques@yahoo.co.uk.

Thanks!

vdpmum Tue 21-Sep-10 10:14:06

Hi,

We are having a first meeting for parents in SE London (Dulwich/Herne Hill/Norwood)interested in the Portuguese playgroup next Wednesday, 29th, at the Brockwell Lido cafe at 10am. This won't be the definite venue as it's not a great one, but the idea is to meet up, meet the Lambeth language coordinator, work out how many we are and what we can do.
Hope you can join us!

Clara

DaniUK Sun 26-Sep-10 16:04:33

Could all interested please get in touch? danincast@yahoo.co.uk

Regards,

Daniela

clairemm Mon 04-Oct-10 00:36:24

we live in E3 and are definitely interested and would love to attend any playgroup/meeting for brazillian portuguese. my husband is from brazil and we expose our 2-year old son to as much as possible but went to a great bilingual meeting (for all languages) in waltham forest (wfbilingual.org.uk) at the weekend where the speaker said that playgroups were one of the best ways to nuture their language use outside the home. hope to meet some of you soon.
best wishes,
claire

mmasca Wed 17-Nov-10 08:56:08

Like some of you I am Portuguese and trying to get my 20 months old baby to be bilingual (father is British). Did any of the plans for a North London group/nursery materialised? I would be very interested in attending and even help setting it up.

sachalr Thu 02-Dec-10 10:22:23

Hi, I live in NW5 Kentish Town/Dartmouth PArk and really want my daughter to speak portuguese. I am bi-lingual and feel that the only way to do this is to organise a playgroup/playdate. If any one is interested can you email me sacha@marmaladeworld.com
Thanks
Sacha

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now