Brazilian Portugues Toddler Groups in SE London?

(60 Posts)
jabuti Sun 09-Nov-08 17:32:26

hello there!

i was wondering if there is any of us around willing to form a toddler group?

im brazilian but i thought i would post in english so anyone can read it and doesnt feel left out

TwinkleToes76 Tue 11-Nov-08 12:51:39

I would but unfortunately I'm in NW london - my DD's father is Brazilian...

jabuti Wed 12-Nov-08 22:27:46

hi twinkle!

pity this city is soooo big, the commute is a killer. how old is your dd?

mine is 15 months and im not sure what she is speaking at the moment for the few words she is saying, it could be either language.

my dp is english.

TwinkleToes76 Thu 13-Nov-08 09:41:31

Hi! She's 13 months, mostly just copying sounds and grunting at the moment but she has just started saying a couple of things in English (bye bye, there and nose)and sometimes says "Pap" when she wants her dad, so that's half a Portuguese word! There is only her dad and her aunt in the UK who speak Portuguese to her so I've been looking everywhere to try to find a local-ish playgroup for Brazilian children but no luck so far. Have you been to the Brazilian Educational and Cultural Centre in Twickenham? I think they run a playgroup, Portuguese lessons and put on several events throughout the year for children. Its a bit too far to go for me unfortunately...

jabuti Thu 13-Nov-08 20:16:37

oh wow, what an excellent place! its far for me too, but we are planning to move out next year then it might be closer.

strangely enough, a friend of mine just gave me this link: http://www.abrir.org.uk/ i had not tell her that i was looking for brazilian networks. we might be able to find our solution there! im going to check it out now.

i guess your daugther is speaking english because you spend more time with her? mine only speak really basic stuff, like mama, papa and babe (as in bahbe, not english babe). and they all sound like could be either language really. she understands in both languages isolated words such as "no", "nose, eyes, mouth". i cant wait til she can really speak to us!!!

TwinkleToes76 Fri 14-Nov-08 18:28:46

thanks for the link, i can't believe that with the amount of Brazilians in London these days there isn't a single playgroup for their kids somewhere!

jabuti Sun 16-Nov-08 18:39:54

hi twinkle! today i met a brazilian mom with her ds during soft play, hallelujah! she knows other ones too. that website will put me in contact with brazilian families in my area, hopefully i can get something started wink

TwinkleToes76 Sun 16-Nov-08 19:09:02

Thats great! And a strange coincidence - i met a brazilian mum at the library who has a DS about the same age as mine whose friend is hoping to start a playgroup near me for bi-lingual brazilian/english kids!! Lets just hope it actually happens! Let me know if you start something up...was it you who sent an email through that website today??

jabuti Sun 16-Nov-08 20:32:20

yes, i am the mom in greenwich trying to start a group! ana is the coordinator that sends the email in the name of the parent. this mom i met today is willing to take part too.

that is strange. it may be true, after all, that the mind can attract what we want wink

there is some recommended literature in the website too.

rosemama Thu 16-Apr-09 11:34:54

Hi Ladies,

I am Brazilian living near Greenwich. My husband is English and we have a baby boy.

Jabuti ! I saw your message about starting a playgroup in Greenwich and think that is a great idea. :-)

I also would like my son to play with other "Anglo-Brasileiros(as)" ! I learned that there are a few playgroups in west London and was willing to start/support a similar group in the east. Traveling to west with a child every week is not easy. Please let me know if you need help to start the group.

Also free for a coffee in Greenwich if you are available.

Gita22 Fri 17-Apr-09 20:13:55

Hello!
I am not Brazilian but Spanish, sorry for jumping in... but an idea for you to meet would be the local library: a half an hour session, once a week to sing and read stories to your kids in your language.
We do one in Spanish in Blackheath and starting another one in Plumstead next week. You can contact the library and propose it to them (do not know if any specific requirement though...).
It is a great way of meeting other mums/dads and be able to speak your mother tongue and very good for the kids, of course, that is the whole point!! After the songs you can go for a coffee/tea, park...
I loved it when I was on maternity leave and I could do it (I am working full time now...). I still keep in touch with the mums and from time to time we go out without the kids, which is also nice.
Well, good luck with your group and enjoy it!!

angelacris21 Thu 14-May-09 18:58:08

Hi, I'm Brazilian and live in Greenwich. I'm looking for a baby group, my baby is nearly 6 months now. Have you formed a group? Can we meet for coffee sometime?

Ross111 Wed 20-May-09 14:18:05

Hi all, I'm Brazilian too and pregnant at the moment but very keen to support the group as soon my little one is born in 4 weeks.
I live in Forest Hill which is very close to Greenwich, so we can meet up for a coffee in the next few months to come.

rosemama Fri 22-May-09 16:13:49

Hi Angela & Ross
I have posted a message a while ago without any reply from others. i am keen on meeting if you both wish too. My baby is 3 months old and i am willing to put him in contact with other Brazilians to help him to develop his Portuguese. I know it is early but we mothers could start meeting to get to know each other and try to come up with some activities/playgroup in the Greenwich area. I would love to get in touch please mail me at rosemamabrasil@yahoo.co.uk

Ate breve Patricia

AudreyMorrison Fri 05-Jun-09 19:24:21

Hi,

I am new to mumsnet and found this language discussion area searching with google.

I am Australian married to a Brazilian and had two boys who are now 7 and 5 while living for almost 10 years in Portugal.

I am searching the net for other Portuguese speaking families so that my children have the opportunity to continue speaking Portuguese.

My Portuguese is at a basic level so I don't speak with them at home as they will learn bad grammatical habits.

We live in NW London. I saw that Twinkletoes76 lives in NW London. I can't email you as I haven't had time to pay the £5 to email directly.

I am wondering if there are any families or mums with kids who would like to meet up.

I will check back here in a week to see if anyone has answered this post.

Thanks
Audrey

TwinkleToes76 Sun 07-Jun-09 20:52:42

Hi AudreyMorrison!

We're in Camden, anywhere near you? My daughter is only 20 months but happy to meet up if you're near by. We did meet a load of other Brazilian/English families in the area to discuss a playgroup/Portuguese lessons but somehow it hasn't materialised into anything yet - i have made my other half promise to do something about it tomorrow and re-establish contact! Most of the other families we met had kids the same age as yours so if you are nearby it might be worth me adding you to the email list.

jabuti Tue 14-Jul-09 19:09:08

hello there! sorry for vanishing... im back. i just emailed rosemama and please email her if you are interested in joining us. myself and another 2 brazilian moms are meeting once per month, the next meeting will be on the 9th of august.

let me know!

rosemama Fri 17-Jul-09 12:46:41

Ola Jabuti

Que bom ter noticias. Eu respondi seu e-mail obrigada. Conte comigo no dia 9 de agosto!

Ate breve
Rose Mamawink

mamaepata Wed 09-Sep-09 20:00:16

Hello, I just started to look for brasilian toddler groups. My son is 22 months and we'd love to meet some other brazilian moms and babies.

jabuti Fri 11-Dec-09 19:44:14

ola mamapaeta,

so vi agora a sua mensagem, pode me contactar pela mumsnet? prefiro nao publicar meu email aqui.

drix Mon 25-Jan-10 11:49:00

Hello everyone
I live in SE, near Greenwich and just found this thread. I'm Brazilian married to an English guy and we have a 4-1/2 months old baby boy and would very much like to meet other bilingual babies in the area. Is there anything going on/ or anyone interested in starting?

jabuti Mon 15-Feb-10 15:32:28

oi drix!

no dia 28 de fevereiro eu e mais 2 maes brasileiras (que nos vemos pelo menos uma vez por mes) vamos nos encontrar aqui em casa. voce quer se juntar a nos? a ideia eh expor os pequenos a lingua portuguesa regularmente, eh muito importante que eles oucam outras pessoas falando tambem, e que nao seja so conversa direcionada para eles.

se estiver afim, me mande um email ta biscuit

Sol1 Tue 02-Mar-10 13:39:42

oi meninas,

meu bebezinho so tem 1 mes, mas ja gostaria de comecar a encontrar brasileiras com filhos na minha area. Moro em Twickenham, tem alguem local ai?

TwinkleToes76 Wed 03-Mar-10 10:54:39

Hi Sol1

There is an organisation called Breacc (Brazilian Education and Cultural Centre) in Twinkenham that runs playgroups, language classes and events for Brazilian/Bi-lingual families. Their website doesn't seem to be working at the moment but you can email them on info@breacc.com for details.

Sol1 Wed 24-Mar-10 16:06:35

hi Twinkle,

thanks, I'll try emailing them

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now