any british born chinese mums out there?

(47 Posts)
yingers74 Tue 26-Oct-04 14:20:27

I am chinese but born and brought up in London and in many ways very british. I married an english bloke but was wondering how other bbcs have dealt with the subject of introducing their children to the chinese language and culture. I try to encourage my parents to speak to her in chinese and try to myself although i am not fluent.

cookiemon Fri 31-Aug-07 11:28:57

Hi slng, your peoms link is quite sweet!!

I wish my parents/in law are here so they can speak Cantonese/French to dd and I don't have to worry much about the trilingual issue.

BTW I saw your posts on the chinese mum thread but the thread doesn't seem to be very active these days, so I haven't been checking msgs there for a while. Have you met up with mellow at the end? She is friendly and her dd is sweet and very calm and quiet, i have met up with her a few times but she seems to be rather busy with her new contract work. Do you work everyday?

We can arrange to meet up some time for a chat and coffee if you're interested. =) would love to meet your DSs.

slng Fri 31-Aug-07 21:03:08

Cookiemon- yes I like that poem website but haven't shown it to dc because they are under illusion that computer is daddy-territory. Joy! I'll try to get some books on that some time.

Who speaks what language to whom in your family!? Lucky you to have supply of Chinese things!

slng Fri 31-Aug-07 21:06:52

Cookiemon - I work every morning 8am to 1pm. (How about you?) Except nursery holidays. (Monday is one of them.) Planning ambitious outing, but maybe we can meet. Somewhere in the middle? Twickenham? Richmond? Kew? Kingston? Hampton? Email me: siawlynn@jon.demon.co.uk

cookiemon Fri 31-Aug-07 22:28:10

I am speaking both English and Cantonese to dd (I know i'm not very consistent anymore)and dh is speaking French to dd. Since I don't speak French =(, we are speaking English when together. blush We don't have any relatives in the UK, so dd doesn't get to hear Cantonese/French much =(. We went to Hong Kong for CNY (when she's about 1) and she seemed to understand well Cantonese as I was speaking merely cantonese to her b4 she was 1.

We also go to France often (4-6 times) a year, so I hope she'll pick up the language if we send her on summer hol when she gets a bit older. I'm not too worried about her French as she can learn it in school anyways. she will definitely has a premium advantage and an early start. dh does assure me dd understands him in French though I am a little sceptical. hmm

I guess what i can do is to expose her to more chinese dvds/books and put her on webcam more. I think she is very interested in cantonese and always nod & say "YES!!" in cantonese when she hears me on the phone in cantonese. She is a really cheeky and funny little gal. wink she also loves to stare and get attention from oriental looking people...well she loves attention from anyone anyways.

Hope I am not doing anything too wrong... or am I? hmm

cookiemon Fri 31-Aug-07 22:28:11

I am speaking both English and Cantonese to dd (I know i'm not very consistent anymore)and dh is speaking French to dd. Since I don't speak French =(, we are speaking English when together. blush We don't have any relatives in the UK, so dd doesn't get to hear Cantonese/French much =(. We went to Hong Kong for CNY (when she's about 1) and she seemed to understand well Cantonese as I was speaking merely cantonese to her b4 she was 1.

We also go to France often (4-6 times) a year, so I hope she'll pick up the language if we send her on summer hol when she gets a bit older. I'm not too worried about her French as she can learn it in school anyways. she will definitely has a premium advantage and an early start. dh does assure me dd understands him in French though I am a little sceptical. hmm

I guess what i can do is to expose her to more chinese dvds/books and put her on webcam more. I think she is very interested in cantonese and always nod & say "YES!!" in cantonese when she hears me on the phone in cantonese. She is a really cheeky and funny little gal. wink she also loves to stare and get attention from oriental looking people...well she loves attention from anyone anyways.

Hope I am not doing anything too wrong... or am I? hmm

cookiemon Fri 31-Aug-07 22:41:25

oh no... posted the same msg twice. hope it's not too disturbing!!

slng, I am a stay at home mum so I'm rather flexible. Well, I do prefer meeting up in the afternoon as dd is taking a long nap in the morning. I don't mind to meet at any of your suggested places. ANy fun places for the kids? softplay? places where they can enjoy and have some fun? I'll email tmr to fix a time. grin gotta go to bed early or my dh is not gonna give me a foot massage... can't miss that?!?! once in a life time opportunity. wink

Tea71 Tue 11-Sep-07 16:34:46

hello
thanks for the web links, esp. YesAsia, which seems like a chinese version of Amazon. Couldnt read the poem one because I can't read chinese.
anyway, since last posting my quest for cantonese DVDs and CDs has gone away ... my granny died and my Mum has gone back to HK for funeral, so I've asked her to buy me some DVDs and CDs *with strict instructions not t o buy bootleg).
Weblinks will be handy for future purchases though.

Cookiemon - I wouldn't worry about speaking to your dd in english for fear she won't know what's going on in playgroups, etc. It's really amazing how kids just know how to communicate with each other .. whatever language. I speak from experience - I wnet to school without speaking a word of english and never felt I didn't know what was going on. And, if you heard me speak english on teh telephone, you would never know I was chinese. My hsuband came over from France when he was 13 - and you would never guess he wasn't from London by his accent!
For me, the real worry is that english will dominate, esp. as me and dh speak in english (though I do speak french and if I wasn't so lazy, we'd talk to each other in french in front of dd) .. . must make more of an effort!

Thanks for teh weblinks!
x

lingmung Fri 23-May-08 15:05:07

Hi everyone, I'm a BBC, have a 11 month old daughter, would love to meetup with any chinese mums out there in the Surrey/Epsom area. If anyone is interested please let me know ;-)

Bye for now !!

mandarinmum Fri 23-May-08 16:09:16

I have a Mandarin playgroup, Saturdays, SW London, for babies between 3 and 18 months. The idea is that the mums speak to each other in Chinese and the babies can listen. In the playgroup I use music, stories and puppets to entertain and teach babies. If you are interested please let me know!

mandarinmum Fri 23-May-08 16:10:07

I have a Mandarin playgroup, Saturdays, SW London, for babies between 3 and 18 months. The idea is that the mums speak to each other in Chinese and the babies can listen. In the playgroup I use music, stories and puppets to entertain and teach babies. If you are interested please get back

duvetandchocs Thu 05-Jun-08 14:56:24

Message deleted

wasRobnowHarrysdad Thu 22-Apr-10 14:57:06

Hi Lingmung are you still on here?
I am Chinese and living in the Cheam area close to Epsom. Are you still looking for chinese mum's to meet with. I have a 6 week old boy. Get in touch if you would like to.

my email is: jingnrob@hotmail.co.uk

wasRobnowHarrysdad Thu 22-Apr-10 14:59:56

Cookiemon
I'm late getting to this site. Are you still in the Epsom/Ewell area? I live in Cheam. If you would like to please contact me at:

jingnrob@hotmail.co.uk

yumcha888 Tue 20-Sep-11 08:50:21

Just wanted to let everyone know that I've set up a Cantonese playgroup in central London where we sing a few nursery rhymes, play games and encourage the kids to make Cantonese speaking friends. Email me fiona.falcone@gmail.com if you want more details.

ma888 Wed 22-Aug-12 12:58:34

wasRobnoHarrysdad and lingmung,

Are you still interested in meeting up - I'm not far from you and interested in meeting up to speak Cantonese informally with my new baby!

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Wed 22-Aug-12 13:05:21

ma888 (auspicious name!)
I wondered if your realise how old this thread is? it was started in 2006!

I hope you get some responses smile

Bumping for you

mamij Fri 24-Aug-12 13:41:00

I'm BBC too. My Cantonese was never really any good until I met DH. We only spoke Cantonese to DD1 and she (now almost three) speaks mainly Cantonese to us, although now is peppered a little bit with English. Will pm a few people to meet up as we are in Teddington, so could do Hampton/Kingston areas too.

ma888 Mon 27-Aug-12 05:48:54

Yep - realised it was a long shot with the old thread - but worth a try!

Any other BBC's out there up for meeting up in kingston area?

Shwenn Wed 26-Sep-12 20:29:30

Hi, I'm not a BBC, but Chinese Msian living in the UK. DD is born here and is 5 now. We currently live in Newham/East London and planning to move to somewhere with better state schools. Am looking into Teddington and would like to know if any of you who have kids in Collis/HW Jnr school. Not much thread on HW but found many on Collis. Just love to know how is it like living in Teddington and if it's a friendly place for BBC/chinese? Would also like some input on the schools around the area.

gemmaedet Mon 01-Oct-12 16:16:30

Hi sing and Cookiemum, I also live in Ealing. I am Chinese, husband French. The little one is still small 2 months old. We are doing one parent one language approache... Hope it works!

When I am at home, I constantly either turn on Chinese tv( phoenix, 758 if u have sky) as background noise or French radio, for the little one to get used to the sound...

We could meet up if not far away..

yumcha888 Thu 28-Mar-13 19:04:18

Just a reminder that www.playcantonese.com is still going strong after a year and a half! Please email info@playcantonese.com - we are hoping to start sessions in Bromley and Stratford this year too smile))

mamij Sat 20-Apr-13 19:28:07

Shwenn - not sure if you've moved yet as it's been a while since I've been back to check this thread. You need to be practically next door to Collis as the catchment is tiny. Tbh, all the schools in Teddington are great. I'm BBC with two DCs, and people have been so friendly and welcoming at playgroups, preschool etc.

We can meet up at the playground or for a coffee if you're in the area.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now