Learning French before we move to Switzerland

(7 Posts)
iamred Tue 20-Sep-16 09:07:10

Other than doing lessons, what resources would you recommend for exposing my DC to French? They are 5 and 2 and we'll be moving to the French speaking part of Switzerland in a couple of months time.

I was thinking along the lines of Peppa on YouTube in French and any games/apps or music CDs so that, to an extent, they don't even really realise they are 'learning French'...

iamred Tue 20-Sep-16 20:24:29

Bump

friendshipstruggle Tue 20-Sep-16 20:38:42

My sister and I were similar ages when we moved there. We learnt it out there pretty quickly, I wouldn't stress about it. Are you putting them into Swiss schooling or international school?

WowOoo Tue 20-Sep-16 20:45:55

They'll learn more quickly when they are there and submerged in it.

Children's films might help. We'll put a DVD on and select language but I'll put English subtitles on. But, my children are old enough to read subtitles so that's not so useful for yours.

I think watching simple (aimed at a three year old?) French cartoons etc will help.
I'd just show them pictures of where they are going....how exciting! Bonne chance!

iamred Wed 21-Sep-16 11:19:26

Thank you!

I guess I'm just keen for them to be exposed a little bit before we go, but I suppose we'll have a few bumpy months regardless.....

friendshipstruggle Wed 21-Sep-16 17:13:35

The oldest will probably find it harder. I was one and really don't remember not being able to speak French. My sister was 5 so she was straight to school. It took her a year to get fluent. It was a little hard for her but even at that age kids will play with you and find a way of communicating. You may be the o d that struggles more. So many people speak English that you may find you have no need to learn the language. My parents T's lived there for 20 years and their French is shocking.

Mamabear12 Sun 25-Sep-16 20:20:19

You could practice teaching them simple basic phrases by using them yourself when speaking them through out the day - Bonjour, bon appetite, mercy, si tu plait, etc. Sorry if spelling is wrong, I'm not french, but trying to learn smile peppa pig is great, and look on youtube they have lots of free cartoons and songs are great. The last month my daughter has learned over 100 words (she can speak them)...so its not just her understanding...she will use them with me or if I ask her how to say things in french she will tell me. She learned these with me. While I am learning, I use the words and explain to her and just keep using them in our every day activities. In addition I have hired french nanny part time to help make sure her pronunciation is correct and to talk to her in french.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now