Welsh medium school nursery then English medium reception / primary? Anyone made the switch?

(9 Posts)
mummyagainin2016 Mon 01-Feb-16 12:30:02

Neither DP or I speak Welsh but I'm Welsh so did some at school. Thinking of sending DS to Welsh medium school nursery in September just to try it but think we'll still choose English Medium for primary school when we new to make that decision next January for the following September. Is this madness? Should we just do English medium nursery too?? If you switched why was that? Would love to hear experiences please as this decision is do in our head in!! Thanks

mummyagainin2016 Mon 01-Feb-16 12:30:43

Sorry for typos! Need not new and doing not do in!!

mummyagainin2016 Mon 01-Feb-16 18:59:47

Anyone?

Muchtoomuchtodo Mon 01-Feb-16 19:00:39

Not sure what you would gain from doing this?

mummyagainin2016 Mon 01-Feb-16 19:16:07

Is purely a way to try Welsh Medium to see how our child takes to it and how we feel as parents dealing with a school in a language neither of us speak, before we have to commit to choosing a primary school and, once they complete reception year, it's very hard to move from English medium to Welsh medium, but less hard to move the other way.

Muchtoomuchtodo Thu 04-Feb-16 22:42:50

Could either of you start learning?

I started when ds1 was in derbyn and now at canolradd level I can read with them both and help with homework

whynogutfeeling Thu 04-Feb-16 22:50:47

I could / might and have learned Welsh as an adult in the past, not to a very high standard though. Am just concerned about feeling obliged to do so or otherwise putting them at a disadvantage.

eatyourveg Sun 07-Feb-16 09:25:46

Duolingo have just started a free online course learning welsh from scratch - sure to find it via google

Doilooklikeatourist Sun 07-Feb-16 09:33:32

Not quite the same , but DD started Welsh medium primary ( we moved to Wales and it was the village school ) she started in Reception , and we moved her to a primary school in town ( so mostly English ) in year 5
She made the adjustment easily

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now