Bilingual single parent?

(3 Posts)
UmbongoUnchained Thu 15-Oct-15 10:55:38

My DD has just turned 1 and is starting to talk. I speak English and Russian and would like to teach her Russian as well. Thing is I'm a single parent, so if I was just to speak to her in Russian, she would fall behind on English? I'm really confused as to what to do, when looking at animals I tend to tell her both in English and Russian but I don't want to confuse her. Any advice would be amazing!

NetballHoop Thu 15-Oct-15 11:03:14

Assuming that you live in England she will be very exposed to English and will be fine.

I'd speak to her in Russian but allow her to reply in whatever language or mix of languages she likes.

Is Russian your first language? It is hard to pass on a language which is not your first.

UmbongoUnchained Thu 15-Oct-15 11:09:15

It's not my first language but thought for the time being I could just teach her vocab. They teach Russian at our local school that she will attend so will learn more of the grammar from there. I haven't really spoken it for a few years, just thought it would be fun for us to do together and also get me speaking it again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now