Polish husband, English wife

(4 Posts)
Shahinka86 Mon 23-Jun-14 22:53:20

Hi
Don't know if there is anyone in my situation but it's worth a go...

I'm born and bread in the uk, have 3 children dd1 is 8 and 3 year old twins (boy/girl). My hubby is polish and has lived in the uk for 10 years,we've been together 7 and married 4. Dd1 is from a different relationship. Obviously I want all 3 of my children to know the language/customs etc, but being English I'm unable to teach them although I encourage it from my dh but he is very lazy and as we speak only English at home he is reluctant to teach the dc. I was just wondering if there are any other people in my situation and can lend some advice!?

Much appreciated in advance

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Tue 24-Jun-14 11:32:04

I'm not in your situation but it seems a shame DH won't pitch in, such a gift having easy fluency in another language. Are there other Poles in your community? They used to offer simple phrases on BBC language websites but I don't think that's still going.

Anyway bumping this for you, good luck smile

Shahinka86 Tue 24-Jun-14 15:02:20

Thank you for your reply! We have polish friends but the wives very rarely converse with me, they are shy to talk in English to me as I am to speak polish to them. Very silly as we are all adults but I suppose it's just human. I've looked on websites etc but they don't really give a lot of info as to customs/traditions.

Thank you again for the bump

I think it needs to be something your Husband really wants to do, and then you support. Unfortunately its going to be really difficult to do without his support.

DH was born in the UK, but brought up in a different language. Things we do with our kids (5 and 3 yr old):
*DH speaks native language with them at every opportunity - and if other english kids are here, he says everything twice - in language for our boys, and then again in english for everyone else.
*Skype PiL every week, and then chat in native language (I often iron upstairs to prevent slipping into english, kids don't have to partake, but do need to be in the room - ie they can play)
*On trips to native country, stock up on DVD's and books in native language - kids watch Disney in Language, but not in english
*PiL also come up for a week every now and then, and look after kids while were at work (school holidays)
*DH cooks dishes typical to his culture. I cook other stuff.

Not sure if any of those might work for you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now