Suggestions for good, (possiblly classic?) interesting French books for 10 year old girl

(9 Posts)
slackcabbage Wed 04-Jun-14 11:00:34

I'm preparing for the summer holidays and want to find some good enjoyable French books for my ten-yr-old dd to read.

She is tri-lingual and French is her least favourite language (atm!! - hoping this will change over time) but she loves reading, so want to encourage her French-language skills through some really enjoyable literature.

The books should be written in good French but enjoyable at the same time ifyswim!

Film/DVD recommendations also appreciated!

Any ideas please? I haven't a clue for this age group!

brittanyfairies Wed 04-Jun-14 11:08:22

My 10 year old and some of his classmates are enjoying Le Manoir trilogy by Evelyne Brisou-Pellen and seem to be enjoying them. They also really loved La Maison de 50 portes by the same author. We met her at a book fair and she's written loads of books. Both DCs and their French friends seem to love her books but she is local to us and I think they have some interaction with her.

In class they seem to read a lot of Roald Dahl translations.

slackcabbage Wed 04-Jun-14 11:18:22

Thank you BrittanyFerries it is incredible how well Roald Dahl bks translate in to all languages; we have quite a few of them here in French and Dutch!

Thank you for the Brisou-Pellen recommendations! Will go and investigate ... .

Bonsoir Wed 04-Jun-14 11:22:23

Le Petit Nicolas books and film - there's a second film coming out soon.
Books by Jean-Philippe Arrou-Vignod
Verte and its sequel Pomme

slackcabbage Wed 04-Jun-14 11:25:10

Thank you Bonsoir - much appreciated!

Oops and have just spotted typo in thread title - possibly - obviously!

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Wed 04-Jun-14 11:33:54

"Le petit Nicolas" Series = funny
"Le Roman de la momie" T. Gautier classic great adventure
Jules Vernes may be "voyage au centre de la terre" to start with?
La contesse de segur (old fashion but plenty to chose from with different level of reading)
"Arsene Lupin" Series
"poil de carotte" Classic about bullying
"la guerre des boutons" classic too about children running wild during the war
If she is not v. good at reading in french may be some easier books like "Le club des 5" all the original Enid Blyton ones plus 24 or 26 more written by a french author.
Fantomette series in the same vein.
Children versions of A. Dumas (don't go for the originals they are quite difficult if her comprehension is not so good)

BDs? "Blake and Mortimer" "Asterix" ...

slackcabbage Wed 04-Jun-14 14:46:05

Thank you LeMoustetaire that is a veritable library list! Lots of wonderful suggestions to go on there ... .

Her level of reading in French is about average for her age I think - nothing spectacular - it's more that she doesn't enjoy it as much as her other languages.

I think this is partly because they read fairly difficult things at school eg Alphonse Daudet's 'Lettres de mon moulin' which of course is wonderfully poetic but somewhat daunting for a 10 yr old!

clearsommespace Mon 09-Jun-14 17:43:49

Aged 9 DD studied 'Le Buveur d'Encre' and 'L'Hollandais sans Peine' in class and very much enjoyed both.

Everything else so far seems to have been translated from English. sad

slackcabbage Tue 10-Jun-14 00:32:20

Thank you for yet more useful titles ClearSommeSpace

I had taken the wealth of British writers of children's books for granted before I moved over here!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now