Babysign language apps

(7 Posts)
redexpat Sat 31-May-14 21:12:46

Hi all
DS is Danish and British, living in Denmark. He is 2.7, but doesn't say much that is coherent. He doesn't even say Mummy, although he can say Far (daddy). He obviously understands everything in both languages, but even still I'm starting to get concerned.

Bit of background; he had fluid in his ears for about 6 months when he was 1. Danish children are slower to speak than english speaking ones, because there are more vowel sounds, and they struggle to hear where one word ends and the next starts. But the other boys at daycare are chatterboxes in comparison. They are 3 and 4 months older than DS.

I thought that baby sign language might be a good tool, but am I too late? Has anyone got any experience of this? Any tips or recommendations for apps or podcasts or websites? I'm sure we'd have fewer tantrums if we could understand what he is trying to say.

redexpat Fri 06-Jun-14 19:03:55

bump

tabitha8 Sun 15-Jun-14 22:15:39

Bit late, I know, to reply.
We started sign language (Makaton) with DS when he was nearly two. It transformed him as he took to it straightaway. I have no tips on apps or anything as we went on a course provided through our health visitor. Perhaps there is some similar provision in Denmark?
I thoroughly recommend it. It was easy for him and us to learn.

redexpat Mon 16-Jun-14 17:49:50

thank you! it helps! we live rurally and i asked my hv about it when he was younger, and she looked at me blankly. i think it would be different in copenhagen.

bloodyteenagers Mon 16-Jun-14 18:05:27

Mychoicepad. It teaches Makaton. You get I think it's the stage 1 of the core vocabulary for free. So at least you can try before you buy. It's not available on the iphone though. Shows you the word, the symbol and click on the picture and there is also a video showing the sign.

There's also lots on youtube.

The only thing I would ever advise against is something special. Justine makes loads of mistakes.

tracybaker Wed 25-Jun-14 13:17:01

Hi I did baby sign with my daughter and it is fabulous - and is really useful for dual languages too as you use one sign for the two words. Have a look at www.babysign.org.uk or their facebook page www.facebook.com/singalongbabysign there are lots of lovely photos of little ones signing during the class. The teacher uses makaton which is a simplified form of BSL and it's a really fun class using songs, musical instruments and puppets. She can come to your home or toddler group too if you have a group of mums like we did! Have fun! Tx

sashh Sun 20-Jul-14 15:08:52

Not sure about baby sign language but a friend of mine had a child who clearly understood but would not speak.

The speech therapist said to try sign language as it is difficult to potty train without a language.

She (therapist) gave her three signs, 'drink', 'food' and 'potty' and instructions the child had to ask, using sign or speech, before he was given any of the three.

Within 2 weeks he was speaking. My friend said it was as though he realised he had to communicate and decided talking was easier.

As you are using sign as a communication system rather than a language I don't think it matters which signs you use. Makaton uses BSL signs but English grammer so is not a simplified BSL, but is simpler for an English speaker to use.

All sign languages have 'ikonic' signs which are signs that are clearly identified as they look like what they are, so if you imagine using your hand to mime 'drink' you will be signing in a number of sign languages.

As long as you are consistent with the signs you use in the family you will be fine. And you can use the same sign whether you are speaking to your child in Danish or English.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now