Stammering 2.5 year old

(6 Posts)
Winstonrocked Sat 26-Apr-14 08:03:07

My dd has been stammering for as long as I can remember. No sudden onset. In the past I have just put it down to her being an excited toddler but it seems to be getting worse. She has a good vocabulary and her speech is good apart from this. (she has older sister and a younger brother) I don't recall any of this with dd1.
She can repeat the same sound/ word about 7/8 times before getting it out, even with simple sentences.
Should I be worried yet?

WanttoFindWorkLifeBalance Sat 26-Apr-14 08:15:52

Definitely worth getting an assessment - they do speech therapy clinics in our area for under 3s where you can just drop in for an initial assessment - check if anything similar in your area. One of my children had this and it was diagnosed as disfluency and he then had speech therapy on NHS which was brilliant and sorted it out, also giving us the techniques to help. This was definitely worth doing as it sorted it while he was young, before school etc. Good luck!

WanttoFindWorkLifeBalance Sat 26-Apr-14 08:17:46

Some useful info here - www.stammeringcentre.org/

Winstonrocked Sat 26-Apr-14 08:26:10

Thank you want. Will have a look for that and Google 'disfluency' ��

TheGhostOfBarryFairbrother Sun 04-May-14 20:15:47

Hello -

Many children stammer when first learning to speak, and bilingual children are more likely to do so. That said, many grow out of it.

My daughter is bilingual and has a very severe stammer (she's 15). I was told that the warning signs are when the child is seen to struggle with their speech - closing eyes, nodding head, being upset by dysfluencies etc. That said, I think that it's always better to be safe than sorry.

If it helps, my son stammered as a small child and I panicked a little given his sister's history but it passed within six months with intervention from SALT.

Good luck!

Meerka Fri 09-May-14 21:05:58

our bilingual son had this too. we were told to get intervention early as possible as it really helps. It did, too; he would probably have grown out of it anyway but we'll never know, and if he was one of the minority who would not have grown out of it anyway, then this help was invaluable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now