What age did your bilingual baby start to speak?

(13 Posts)
GuybrushThreepwoodMP Fri 21-Feb-14 10:19:09

DD is 16 months and doesn't say any words yet. I'm not worried because she clearly understand an awful lot of words and responds really well to instructions in both languages. She also uses lots of signing and can use these when prompted in either language. She makes lots of word-like noises and has a conversational rhythm. People have told me bilingual babies can speak later- I'm not sure if this is true or not so would be interested to hear when your baby started using proper words? Plenty of single language babies I know are using a good few already but of course this could just be the normal differences in development rather than related to bilingualism.

SwedeAway Fri 21-Feb-14 15:11:58

Hi, my daughter is trilingual and we battled quite a bit as she was very late to start talking. She is now 3 but I think it all started to come together when she was about 2-2 1/2. It's normal for multilingual kids to start speaking later but it's so worth it in the end. Good luck!

noramum Sat 22-Feb-14 19:34:17

DD got really into speaking around 22 months but I also think it was because she went from baby to toddler room at the nursery so was more exposed to other children already talking.

My friend's mono-lingual DD decided to grunt and point until she was nearly 2 and now with 6.5 has a verbal expression of a nearly 10 year old.

I wouldn't worry as you think your child understands and reacts.

DS1 had half a dozen words at his 2 year check. Suddenly started with sentences a few months later. Went from noticeably behind his monolingual peers to ahead of them.
DS2 was much earlier. Can't remember when tho. Sorry. He is generally ahead of his monolingual peers.

gloucestergirl Fri 07-Mar-14 18:15:22

DD is on the way to being bilingual. Lots of words having started coming since about xmas when she was 22 months. Now at just having turned two we sometimes get two words together.

Artandco Fri 07-Mar-14 18:20:48

About 2 years. Didn't really say anything before

toomuchtooold Sun 16-Mar-14 14:50:43

DTs - one is pretty chatty at 22 months and the other is saying the odd word, vocab of maybe 30 or so - so a little behind the standard milestones. I've also heard that bilingual kids are a little slower to sort it all out and start talking so not stressing.

loopyluna Sun 16-Mar-14 14:53:52

DC1 spoke a few words of both languages at 16 months. Maybe 8-10 clear words and some baby talk.

DC2 was conversing fluently in both languages by 16 months. Regardless which country we were in, people couldn't believe how well she spoke.
(She was later diagnosed as having an exceptionally high IQ.)

DC3 had about 20 English words but no French at 16 months. She decided to learn one language at a time and didn't really speak French until she was 3!

I do not, at all, buy into the "bilingual babies are late speakers." Each child varies enormously though, regardless of language influence.

bubblegoose Sun 16-Mar-14 14:55:51

Two here. Now 2.8 and is just starting to speak sentences in both languages.

Yemenite Wed 26-Mar-14 21:48:17

Very late. First words in my language and then began mixing. He's still not able to communicate in either at his peers' level. I'm not bothered because eventually he'll speak 2 languages fluently.

JBrd Thu 27-Mar-14 10:42:34

After two here, he's nearly 3 now and just recently started using whole sentences and narratives. But he only speaks English, as this is what he hears most of the time. Understands everything in German (my language), but doesn't speak it at all, apart from a few words that he mixes in.

calendula Sun 30-Mar-14 23:09:29

DS1: 11 months, words in both languages and aware of when to use which language. Today 100% bilingual adult, very fluent in both languages, both orally and in writing.

DD: 12 months, words in both languages. Fluent sentences in both languages before she was 2. Today bilingual 13 year old, not recognizable as "foreign" when we visit minority country. Some spelling problems in both languages, diagnosed with dyslexia.

DS2: first words 18 months, no sentences until over 3 years old. Refused to speak minority language until he was nearly 6 (after a long holiday without parents in the minority language country) but understood everything. Today 10 years old. Communicates well in minority language but makes a number of grammatical mistakes that make it clear he has not grown up in minority country .

redexpat Fri 25-Apr-14 22:09:05

DS is 2 1/2. Doesn't say much that is understandable:
Far (Daddy)
Hej/ hej hej (hello/by)
Køre (drive)
Den der! (that one)
Hvor er den? (where is it?)
Der var den! (there it is)
Kom! (come)
Nej (no)
Bolder (balls)
Boller (bun)
Hov (oops)

In English:
CAR CAR CAR CAR CAR CAR CAR
My car
No
More
Harhooos

He had the extra complication of having fluid in his ears for a while so was deaf for a few months. He imitates a lot of noises - can do animals and likes to do other sounds like plop, ding. I'm not worried, neither is hte child development person in the village.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now