Wondering about introducing Italian/brasilian Portuguese.

(3 Posts)
Oriunda Fri 03-Jan-14 10:03:54

If you don't speak either language grammatically correctly then I'd learn the grammar of whichever is easiest. I am English and DH is Italian. I speak more or less fluent Italian but my grammar is not perfect and I want DS to learn correctly with an Italian accent. Ditto for English. So we do OPOL.

eightandthreequarters Wed 23-Oct-13 20:08:45

Well, you have time - start studying!! If you already read & understand both languages, you can make huge progress in the months ahead. Pick one to speak to your baby - it's not that hard to learn Portuguese if you know Italian and vice versa, but if you start doing both, plus English, I think it could lead to confusion!

AnnaBanana25 Wed 23-Oct-13 20:04:35

Hi all,

I've only just conceived so it's very early days, but I have been wondering about the use of languages with babies... My mum is Italian/Brazilian, and although I understand and can read both languages, I can't speak either grammatically correctly. Is it possible to introduce either language such as by reading stories, or will this confuse a child?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now