Wondering about introducing Italian/brasilian Portuguese.

(3 Posts)
AnnaBanana25 Wed 23-Oct-13 20:04:35

Hi all,

I've only just conceived so it's very early days, but I have been wondering about the use of languages with babies... My mum is Italian/Brazilian, and although I understand and can read both languages, I can't speak either grammatically correctly. Is it possible to introduce either language such as by reading stories, or will this confuse a child?

eightandthreequarters Wed 23-Oct-13 20:08:45

Well, you have time - start studying!! If you already read & understand both languages, you can make huge progress in the months ahead. Pick one to speak to your baby - it's not that hard to learn Portuguese if you know Italian and vice versa, but if you start doing both, plus English, I think it could lead to confusion!

Oriunda Fri 03-Jan-14 10:03:54

If you don't speak either language grammatically correctly then I'd learn the grammar of whichever is easiest. I am English and DH is Italian. I speak more or less fluent Italian but my grammar is not perfect and I want DS to learn correctly with an Italian accent. Ditto for English. So we do OPOL.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now