Keeping up bilingualism on return to UK

(6 Posts)
dreamydays Sat 26-Oct-13 18:38:06

Thanks Pythonesque. Good to hear, both about Culham and about Oxford! An afterschool club may well be a good start, and making French friends would make all the difference smile

Pythonesque Sat 19-Oct-13 22:26:10

German friends of mine have been very happy with the school at Culham. In Oxford there do seem to be loads of bilingual families (I can see the difference in your situation of course) - I have often felt somewhat jealous of families I've overheard in playgrounds.

Things I've come across in passing here include an afterschool club specifically aimed at French-speaking children that probably exists exactly for children like yours.

Many of the independent schools do start French early - but it varies. And not nearly as much as a dual-language approach would be.

Good luck finding the right place to relocate your family life to!

dreamydays Sat 19-Oct-13 21:22:55

Thanks. Yes we speak French but with nothing like her accent!

Artandco Fri 18-Oct-13 07:27:59

French au pair ( although a full French speaking nanny would be better if affordable as could teach French properly ie many have degrees in French language/ writing. - could you afford someone like this maybe x2 days a week?)

French holiday camps during holidays

French tv/ DVDs/ theatre

French books ( assuming you can also read French to/ with her)

zumo Fri 18-Oct-13 07:13:20

Our friends kids speak and write 3 languages, dad only speaks Dutch to them, Mum only English and the local language at school, they are teens now and have no issues.
I would suggest French TV, French speaking friends etc, you have to keep this up as its a very good skill

dreamydays Thu 17-Oct-13 19:20:07

Hi, I'd really welcome some advice.

We're a British family living in France, planning to return to UK next summer. DD1 is in Moyenne Section at Maternelle and will be 5.5 when we return, ie going into Year 1.

She's bilingual and we're keen not to lose her French. I've been looking for French-speaking primary schools outside London and have only found the Europa School (successor to European School) at Culham, and a school in Bristol. Am I missing any? And I'd love to hear any experience of the Europa School as we're seeing it as best option at the moment.

(As an aside, why is there so little option of early 2nd language teaching in UK? In the French provincial city where we live, I can think of at least 6 dual-language state elementary schools.)

If not at school, does anyone have advice on the best way to keep up DD1's French? Would either au pair or regular tutoring, plus holidays in France, be enough? I feel she ought to learn to read and write in French at some stage, which of course in the French system she won't before we return.

Thanks v much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now