Any Spanish speakers willing to lend a bit of urgent help?

(12 Posts)
confuddledDOTcom Thu 29-Aug-13 20:28:39

My parents are taking my children to Spain tomorrow, my youngest has been in hospital today with an asthma/ chest infection combo. They found he only responded to the nebuliser which many doctors won't give because of his age. The fact he did means he is most definitely asthmatic (despite being 8 months old and "we never diagnose under - whatever age they told me first child around" which seems to be getting younger each child as they realise our family history!) The doctor wants them to make sure they know where all the medical facilities are because he may need to go back on the neb and to make sure they tell the doctors he must have the nebuliser. So I need some important things for them to have ready - feel free to paraphrase or whatever, this is just the points as I'm thinking it.

He was born at 29 weeks.
He has had a chest infection all week and he takes antibiotics.
He must have the nebuliser, it's the only thing that worked in England, inhalers didn't work.
His sisters were all diagnosed young with asthma so his doctors feel it's best to treat him as if it is.

If there's anything I missed, please feel free but I wanted to post this quickly. I'll get them to write this down rather than try to learn it so that they can just show it to a doctor if necessary.

violeta Thu 29-Aug-13 22:27:41

hi there. I will do my best with the proviso that I am not Spanish... I also don't know what nebuliser is in Spanish but I will google that in a sec.
ok.
Nacio con 11 semanas de antelacion (29 semanas).
Lleva una semana con una infeccion del hecho y esta tomando antibioticos.
Ha que tener el (nebuliser). Solo funciono el (nebuliser) en Inglaterra. Los inhaladores no funcionan.
Los medicos diagnosticaron a sus hermanas como asmaticas cuando eran pequenas y por eso los medicos de mi hijo cree que es mejor tratarle como si fuera asmatico tambien.

violeta Thu 29-Aug-13 22:28:38

damn phone. Una infeccion del pecho. (not hecho).

violeta Thu 29-Aug-13 22:30:46

And my phone also refuses to do the accents. But I hope this will be enough to make yourself understood. smile

Zoe900 Thu 29-Aug-13 22:31:03

nebulazidor

mikkii Thu 29-Aug-13 22:43:17

Feeling for you. We are currently in Spain, at 3am last Wednesday morning we dashed to A&E in Malaga with a 40degree temp. Was told it was a virus.

We had already booked an appointment with a paediatrician in my husband's home town for Wednesday which A&E advised us to keep. Paed diagnosed bronchitis. We were given antibiotics, plus a syrup equivalent to Ventolin(Salbutamol) called Terbasmin and cortico steroid drops ( Estilsona equivalent to a brown inhaler)

Both our consultations were in Spanish, but DH is fluent and I don't really struggle too much.

We once had to take DS to the hospital and as soon as I questioned DH in English the doctor swapped (but this was a private hospital)

I think if they can't manage in Spanish, most hospitals in tourist areas have English speakers.

Good luck.

mikkii Thu 29-Aug-13 22:44:42

Oh yes, and I have found, if in doubt, say the proper English medical term with a Spanish accent. grin since the medical terms come from Latin, that works about 90% of the time!

mikkii Thu 29-Aug-13 22:45:33

Have you been given fit to fly by the hospital?

Have you told your insurer?

mikkii Thu 29-Aug-13 22:46:58

Violetta's translation looks sensible to me by the way.

mikkii Thu 29-Aug-13 22:49:16

The reason we were given the Ventolin syrup, the paed explained that as the airways are constricted, the inhaled medicine isn't getting were it needs to go. Just in case this is suggested for your DS.

I will be taking the rest of the bottle home.

confuddledDOTcom Thu 29-Aug-13 23:16:47

The hospital said they were ok with him flying but to know where the local doctors were and to make sure that they know he needs the neb. He's on inhalers which help but they don't bring him out of an attack. Doctor was quite surprised at the way 10 puffs had no effect but nebs made a massive difference straight away, she said it's proof he has asthma but he's too young to say it definitely is.

I don't know if they've spoken to the insurance but I'll check that with Mum when I get chance.

mikkii so it seems sometimes being a bad tourist works? wink

Thank you violeta

cierzo Thu 12-Sep-13 15:52:33

Translation was good. I hope you didn't need to finish in the hospital. I know many hospitals on turistic areas tend to have people with language skills.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now