UK equivalent of French Maternelle

(3 Posts)
JooLoo Tue 30-Jul-13 18:51:08

Can anyone confirm that Moyenne Section is equivalent to reception class in UK (eg rising 4)? DD 3.5 is a January baby so the French School she is attending (in non French speaking country) want to keep her in Petit Section as they have a 1 January cut off. But I think that would mean when we transfer to the UK system in two years she will go into Year 2 without having done Year 1 equivalent. She is bright and sociable so I dont have problems with her being the youngest. When she goes to the UK she will be in the middle of the age range. Hope this makes sense!

chamonixlover Tue 30-Jul-13 21:34:32

no not necessarily. In England and Wales (not Scotland and NI), reception class at the beginning of September will be children born between 1st September 2008 and 31st August 2009. Moyenne Section is children born 2009. Your child should go into Petite section if born in January 2010.

What is wrong with her doing Petite Section in 2013-14 and Moyenne Section in 2014-15? Then going into Year 2 in 2015-16? As they aren't equivalents and 2 different systems, it's useless to compare. Let her stay with her age group.

JooLoo Sat 03-Aug-13 12:14:55

Thanks Chamonixlover. I just want to make sure she won't have been left behind when she starts year 2. I realise the two systems are different but not in what way!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now