One parent one name?

(28 Posts)
Educateme Tue 25-Jun-13 08:01:17

Posting here rather than in baby names for the firsthand experience.

We are planning to OPOL. Was just wondering about names. Both sets of grandparents and friends in respective countries are monolingual, and would struggle with a 'foreign' name. I was wondering if anyone in reality uses variants of the same name for their child, for example Carlos and Charlie? Or does something different?

TIA

jamaisjedors Thu 05-Sep-13 21:13:52

When I got married, my (bilingual) Spanish cousin wrote me a letter begging me to choose a name for my children which would be easy to pronounce in their home country.

She really struggled with being called "Catherine" in Spain, and has ended up as "Caty" (pronounced Catty) and obviously hated it.

We chose 2 names for our DS which worked in both languages and don't sound "foreign" (but they are pronounced slightly differently in each language which doesn't seem to pose a problem to them).

OneLittleToddleTerror Thu 05-Sep-13 22:44:04

I'm confused about how having two names in the two different cultures are a bad thing. By being dual heritage they already have two identities. For what it is worth DD has a English first name, a English middle name that is similar to her Chinese name. She gets called both, refers herself with her first name, but answers to both. I really can't think of many English names that works in Chinese or vice versa. Unless you go down the route of using names like Gok or Bic.

OneLittleToddleTerror Thu 05-Sep-13 22:47:26

Of course if you don't mind hilarious ones like Ip Man, then there a ton of names that work in both languages grin.

The IP Man is Bruce Lee's teacher.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now