2 bilingual DD's and 1 who can't speak English

(2 Posts)
TohnoE Mon 20-May-13 16:50:00

Out of my 3 DD's, my two 10 year olds speak English quite well, one being completely fluent whilst the other isn't that brilliant. My youngest DD, who is 7 speaks little English. We brought them up speaking Japanese which they also spoke at school whilst English was spoken at holidays when we visited family. We recently moved back to England and my older DD's attend a local private primary school and are coping quite well with the transition. But my youngest DD is attending the same school (which has many foreign students) and often misses lessons to have extra English lessons. I feel that this is separating her from making many friends as there is a language barrier but I don't know what else to do. Any advice?

jkklpu Mon 20-May-13 22:39:12

What's your native language? If it's English, and you've been speaking Japanese all these years, can you speak English at home instead? I'm sure she'll catch up quickly at 7.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now