Raising bilingual children

(4 Posts)
NotTreadingGrapes Tue 30-Apr-13 10:56:44

Yes, definitely!

Right from the start we had both Italian and English flying around at home. smile

popsnsqeeze Tue 30-Apr-13 10:32:22

Thank you!
Do you think that DH should start speaking to the kids in his language now, before we move?

Thanks

NotTreadingGrapes Mon 29-Apr-13 20:09:46

That should do it, to be honest!

Plus books, films etc.

DH should just speak to DD2 in his language as well.

popsnsqeeze Mon 29-Apr-13 20:06:50

Hi All,

I'm looking for advice and experiences.
I currently live in DH's home (non English speaking) country. He also has mother tongue english. I have 2 daughters, dd5 and dd1.5.
Dd1 speaks perfect English and the language of the country that we are in. We speak only English in the house, English books, films etc. she really has 2 mother tongues.
Dd2 is at home with me so really has only limited exposure to the second language.

We are planning a move to the states in a couple of months and it's really important to me that both kids will have this second language. Like I said, this is DH's second mother tongue.

Any tips on how to retain the language with dd1, and pass it on to dd2? We've decided that DH will speak only in the second language to the kids but any thoughts will be appreciated!

Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now