Teaching older English children ks2 to read/write when living aboard

(8 Posts)
Chigertick Mon 14-Jan-13 03:20:59

Sorry to have only just returned to this thread - my dad was very ill I'm hospital over new year so not much mumsnetting hmm
The cards are these ones http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000C8W0BM
Not sure that will be a clickable link as on my phone.
Thanks for all your help and suggestions its much appreciated.

dikkertjedap Sat 12-Jan-13 22:00:19

Also, Letts Magical Topics, Letts Smelly Spelling etc (Amazon)

dikkertjedap Sat 12-Jan-13 21:54:28

I find that audio CDs are very good as well (Amazon). Also, CGP workbooks are quite good.

You can find lots of phonics stuff in 'Letters and sounds' the government website, not the commercial stuff, government stuff is all free to download anyway.

halo47 my dd is almost 7, fluent English, would your dd like to write/email with my dd?

halo47 Thu 03-Jan-13 16:35:42

We also painted big blackboards on walls of both their bedrooms and we write nightly messages to each other once they're sleeping - they do me a reply best way they can in the morning - it's a little thing but it all helpsgrin

halo47 Thu 03-Jan-13 16:33:51

Yes I would be interested in who makes the cards pls, it all helps.
I think the sites I've used so far will be too young for them, mainly CBbc / ceebeebies. I'm just discovering some learning apps that are around tho none to recommend. I also love the workbooks produced now by all the supermarkets in the uk - I had a couple from m&s last time I was back that we're great.

Chigertick Thu 03-Jan-13 13:56:49

Thanks for replying - I have found some spelling books to send them and some spelling games - with cards you deal the initial sound or blend then an ending eg b - ed, f - ed. not sure who they're made by but if you'd be interested I can go and look smile
I'll suggest the computer - are there any particular sites that are good?
Thanks again.

halo47 Wed 02-Jan-13 20:11:56

My two children are in the same situation, schooled in French but from an English household. We try and support their English with lots of phonics books and encouraging them to practice reading. The oldest is reading pretty well now (she's 7) but I know we'll have to continue pushing her a bit. We also use computer games etc to get them spelling which I'm finding the hardest bit of all this. Hope this might help.

Chigertick Wed 19-Dec-12 17:00:46

Just as the title suggests really - my niece and nephew live in France and are KS 2 age. They are doing very well in French and speak English fluently - now though they are beginning to struggle with reading and writing in English.
Does anyone have any helpful suggestions to bring their home language back up? They have loads of homework and like all children need to keep motivated.
TIA

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now