Dual nationality for children German / British

(17 Posts)
noramum Thu 22-Jan-15 21:31:11

You should not have any problems, my friend's first DS got both nationalities despite his parents weren't married at that time. For his German passport he has the dad's surname as it is on his British birthcertificate, not his mother's name.

I think you may need to get a lawyer involved specialist in this sector if you run against a brick wall.

DD is born by two German parents at a time where we were already living in the UK for 7 years. She has British nationality as well, by default, we didn't had to apply for it. We just qualified as EU members, with work and "being settled" (saving accounts, mortgage, not out of the country apart from work trips and holidays). I am puzzled that your twins have problems.

Claudia1204 Wed 21-Jan-15 12:58:02

Hi willow, thanks for your reply, because we arent married so i been told by the british passport office i would have to get a german pssport, apparently because we arent married the children could only apply for a german passport, saying this, it was 8 years ago when i requested a british passport

VioletWillow Wed 21-Jan-15 11:57:24

Hi Claudia, why have you been barred from getting a Bbritish passport for the twins? I am British and my partner is German, our daughter has a British passport and British birth certificate, as long as one parent is British you can apply if I recall, it was only a few months ago but I've been sleep deprived!
If you have a British birth certificate the children are British, the children who are born in Germany can also be British but it's a different process. I hope someone more knowledgeable comes along soon smile

Claudia1204 Wed 21-Jan-15 10:47:15

Hi there, i wonder if anyone can help me get on the right track, i am a german citizen and have been living in the uk for the last 15 years now, my oldest daughter has ben born in germany but has got her british dad on the german birth certifcate, then i i also got twins, born in the uk with british birth certificate and their dads name on it, we arent married, but they not allowed to have a british passport, hence why i had to get them a german passport with my surname which i thnk is wrong, is there any way i can apply for a british passport for them and british citizenship? Any help would be appreciated as i am pulling my hairs out :-( Thanks in advance

doradoo Mon 07-Jul-14 15:59:26

As I am having trouble renewing my DCs British passports from Germany - the thought of whether we can have dual UK/DE nationality has crossed my mind - for ease of documentation and travel etc.

Does anyone have any knowledge / experience of the system the other way round?

We are all British and have lived in Germany since 2008 - DC3 was born here and has a DE birth certificate. I think we have to have lived here 8 years - but not sure if we have to renounce the British citizenship first.

Anybody been through this too?

spica Wed 13-Mar-13 18:51:42

Can confirm what Chislemum wrote - children can have both nationalities and do not need to choose once they are 18 - mine have both and in both cases it was fairly straightforward to organise, though I probably had it a bit easier as I did the British right after birth and the German passport afterwards.

Chislemum Mon 11-Feb-13 13:55:52

MrsH - child is both: British and German and BOTH by birth. As long as the UK stays within the EU your child does not have to decide between German and UK passport, I checked this with German embassy earlier this year.

natation Thu 31-Jan-13 20:43:19

Mrs H, from what you have written, your DD was British at birth, she can never choose not to be, unless she renounces her British citizenship. Current cost of renouncing her nationality would be £229. A lack of a British passport DOES NOT mean you are not or no longer a British citizen, you don't need a British passport as a British citizen.

If there is a German nationality rule that at 18 years old for example, a child with German and OTHER nationality must choose and German is chosen, it means having to pay the renunciation of British nationality fee. I have no ideas at all about German nationality rules, only British ones. There are no such rules regarding British citizenship.

Gabsid, I take it you are German and living in the UK and that your child was born in the UK too? It's complicated with a child born of an EEA national in 2005 and in the UK. If you or dad were given indefinite leave before birth, your DS would have been a British citizen automatically at birth and you apply for a British passport directly if you wish and pay the £46 if applying inside the UK. If you or dad didn't have indefinite leave before birth in 2005, you can then "register" DS as a British citizen if you register registered for indefinite leave (but if here 5 years after 29.4.2006 requirement for the EEA parent to get indefinite leave was lifted and after 5 years residence it became automatic). But as you say you left, I assume left the UK? Oh I'm not sure then, if you made it to 5 years in the UK before leaving and it was from 30.4.2006, I think you keep your permanent residence for life, even if you leave the UK, so you might be able to still "register" your DS as a British citizen. Well if you mean you didn't leave the UK and are still here, then no complication about leaving the UK! As for your DD born in 2008, well if born in the UK to you or dad being 5 years or more previously living in the UK too, your DD will automatically be a British citizen, whether wanted or not, again having a British passport does not confer British citizenship, it's the circumstances which do. Yes a British passport can be handy for a working holiday in Oz or Canada etc.

MmeLindor Tue 29-Jan-13 20:39:18

I know that we our DC were born, the rule was that they had to pick a nationality at 18yo. As far as I know, they don't actually know that our DC have a British passport - we have never told them anyway - so I don't see how they would be able to tell them to give their German one back.

I was hoping that they would change this rule at some point.

We are German / Scottish too, and recently moved back to Scotland.

MrsHuxtable Tue 29-Jan-13 20:18:01

Oh, I'm vey interested in this.

I'm German, DH is Scottish, we live in Scotland and DD was born here. She only has a British passport but I'd like her to have a German one as well. From what i've read here, this shouldn't be a problem, right?

I'm wondering though whether she can keep both nationalities indefinitely or whether she has to pick on after she's 18? Does anyone know?

gabsid Thu 24-Jan-13 11:45:32

We are in the same position, dad's name is on the children's birth certificate. For DS (born 2005) we planned to apply for 2 passports. There was no problem with the German passport as I (the mother) am German.

The British passport seemed a real hussle, we were told that I needed a stamp (something about that I am allowed to stay in the UK), which I tried to get but didn't need ... in the end they would have charged us £400 for the passport - we left it in the end.

With DD (born 2008) we just applied for a German passport, although I heard it is easier now to apply for a British one as well.

I don't think I am much help to you, however, in the next 10-15 years all they need their passport for is to travel on holiday, so really a second passport would just be a bit of cardboard in the drawer. But when they are older there may be benefits to having a British passport, e.g. to apply for a working holiday visa in Commenwealth countries, e.g. Australia.

Chislemum Tue 08-Jan-13 20:40:49

Yes, they are both from birth. WidowWadman's advice is spot on.

natation Thu 06-Dec-12 21:01:18

Your children will be British citizens automatically if their dad's name appears on their birth certificates and he is a British citizen. Apply for British passport.

Your children will be British citizens if you were settled already in the UK for X number (sorry can't remember how many X is, at a guess 3) and they were born in the UK and you had German nationality at the time EVEN IF their dad's name does not appear on their birth certificates. Apply for British passport.

So the chances are your children were British citizens from the second they were born and German too.

WidowWadman Wed 05-Dec-12 22:34:04

I'm German, my husband is English, but we weren't married when #1 was born. Both children have only British passports at the moment, because the treck to London for a German passport is too long/expensive for me to justify. Sooner or later I'll get them the German passports, too.

All you need to do is get a passport application form, the "extended" birth certificate (the one that isn't free, but costs a few quid), passport picture someone of professional standing who's known you for more than 2 years and holds a UK passport to witness the photograph is actually the child you say it is, and then send it off.

noramum Wed 05-Dec-12 14:41:20

If the dad is English it shouldn't be a problem as long as he is registered on their birth certificates. You may want to check with the passport application hotline what is required if the parents aren't married.

My DD has both nationalities automatically despite having only German parents and we didn't apply for British nationality ourselves. But this is a fairly new thing, I think children born before 2006 don't count (as colleagues found out to their dismay).

We had to provide tons of documentation about us being in the UK for at least 5 years, in permanent employment, paying taxes and NI and being committed to stay by having a mortgage and savings.

Lebkuchenlover Wed 05-Dec-12 13:59:53

Hi Karin, we are in a very similar position and our children have dual German/British citizenship (they actually have a third one too!) and Germany definately allows dual citizenship nowadays, especially if the children have aquired it from birth. Regarding the British citizenship, I'm not too sure but anyone living in the UK for more than 5 years can apply for it (and their children then get it too - this is how our kids got the British citizenship).

karin6651 Wed 05-Dec-12 12:10:52

I've got a question regarding dual citizenship for my children and I was hoping to find some advice here on how to go about it.
Both of my children (10 and 8) were born in the UK and have always lived here. I am German and have lived in the UK for the past 13 years. Their father is English and we are not married, but are living together. The children have German passports / nationality, but I would like them to have dual citizenship. I have read that they have an automatic right to be registered as British citizens. Do I have to apply for this? I'm also not sure how it would work - I believe Germany does not allow dual citizenship, so I'm worried that they would automatically lose their German citizenship if the application is approved.
If anybody is in a similar situation and has some advice, I'd be very grateful!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now