Spanish question!

(5 Posts)
gabsid Tue 09-Oct-12 15:33:18

jkklpu - what gives you the impression I don't speak Spanish? I did study it to degree level many years ago and I did teach it at KS3 - you don't have to be a native speaker to teach a language to a certain level!

DS enjoys learning a bit of Spanish, but we don't do it in a formal way. Very often he starts it and I then involve him into a conversation that is fairly repetative in a joking/fun way.

He knows the numbers to 100 and feels very proud being able to do maths in Spanish, but I reconsidered practicing X tables in Spanish as he recites/remembers them in German - it would just make it harder to make them stick.

We will still do +/- in Spanish once in a while though.

gabsid Thu 04-Oct-12 20:40:33

amalur- thanks, that's all I wanted to know. It's just not something that pops up in ordinary conversation, but now we can do his xtables in Spanish as well.

amalur Thu 04-Oct-12 15:19:36

You can say 5 por 2 for multiplications (it equals "times" in english) and 12 entre 2 for divisions. They are the more colloquial expresions.

jkklpu Thu 04-Oct-12 15:13:44

If you don't really speak Spanish, it's quite a lot to expect him to pick it up accurately when he's already in a bilingual household. If you insist on him doing it, why don't you set up a conversation class with a native speaker so you know he's exposed to correct Spanish? Seems a bit odd to be pushing it in this way, tbh.

gabsid Thu 04-Oct-12 11:25:58

We are a German/English household, however I have started doing a little Spanish with DS (7). He is taking it on really well and we have practiced maths in Spanish (+ and - up to 100) a couple of times.

Now he needs to learn his time tables and do division and I am not sure how to do that with him.

Do you (always) say, e.g. 5 multiplicado por 2 or 12 dividido por 2? Or are there other/shorter ways of expressing it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now