Spanish question!

(5 Posts)
gabsid Thu 04-Oct-12 11:25:58

We are a German/English household, however I have started doing a little Spanish with DS (7). He is taking it on really well and we have practiced maths in Spanish (+ and - up to 100) a couple of times.

Now he needs to learn his time tables and do division and I am not sure how to do that with him.

Do you (always) say, e.g. 5 multiplicado por 2 or 12 dividido por 2? Or are there other/shorter ways of expressing it?

jkklpu Thu 04-Oct-12 15:13:44

If you don't really speak Spanish, it's quite a lot to expect him to pick it up accurately when he's already in a bilingual household. If you insist on him doing it, why don't you set up a conversation class with a native speaker so you know he's exposed to correct Spanish? Seems a bit odd to be pushing it in this way, tbh.

amalur Thu 04-Oct-12 15:19:36

You can say 5 por 2 for multiplications (it equals "times" in english) and 12 entre 2 for divisions. They are the more colloquial expresions.

gabsid Thu 04-Oct-12 20:40:33

amalur- thanks, that's all I wanted to know. It's just not something that pops up in ordinary conversation, but now we can do his xtables in Spanish as well.

gabsid Tue 09-Oct-12 15:33:18

jkklpu - what gives you the impression I don't speak Spanish? I did study it to degree level many years ago and I did teach it at KS3 - you don't have to be a native speaker to teach a language to a certain level!

DS enjoys learning a bit of Spanish, but we don't do it in a formal way. Very often he starts it and I then involve him into a conversation that is fairly repetative in a joking/fun way.

He knows the numbers to 100 and feels very proud being able to do maths in Spanish, but I reconsidered practicing X tables in Spanish as he recites/remembers them in German - it would just make it harder to make them stick.

We will still do +/- in Spanish once in a while though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now