French TV for pre-teens / teens?

(12 Posts)
MIFLAW Thu 11-Oct-12 13:47:27

True, Fargone - although every time I go to France the kids' channels seem to be showing American stuff in translation.

Worth looking at BBC France and also maybe the TV coming from the other Francophone areas, like Belgium and Switzerland.

fargone Thu 11-Oct-12 10:01:02

you can get a satellite dish with lots of french tv - not expensive!

MmeLindor Wed 10-Oct-12 17:36:14

Thanks, will check those out.

We are going to France next Spring for a wedding, so will check out the DVD shelves.

MIFLAW Thu 04-Oct-12 15:54:58

Channel 825, TV5, about an hour on Saturday and Sunday mornings is kids' hour, about half and half European and Canadian stuff. Followed by a music show, Acoustic, for adults, so teens might like that.

DVDs are definitely a better option though I know that that's not what you want to hear.

If not, of course, you could hit Youtube and explore, loads on there.

MmeLindor Wed 26-Sep-12 23:20:19

Thanks, that looks good. Will have a dig around.

Yes, that is what I thought, Petit - it is similar in Germany. Not an awful lot of German TV.

DD has just been contacted on Kik by some of her school friends back in Switzerland, so that is good - she will keep up her French by communicating with them.

PetiteRaleuse Wed 26-Sep-12 16:31:55

There are heaps of extracts of C'est pas Sorcier on youtube - which will link to other stuff.

The problem with a lot of French children's TV is that it is dubbed from English / Japanese manga.

They might not want to watch the news particularly but Euronews can be switched to French - could have it on in the background so that they are used to hearing it?

Suki52 Wed 26-Sep-12 16:14:09

TV5 Monde shows C'est Pas Sorcier at the mo. I've got it on Sky so you should be able to get it on VirginMedia? I like this site too capcanal.com/index.php, for all ages.

MmeLindor Tue 25-Sep-12 20:18:37

They look interesting, Bonsoir, but we don't do DVDs anymore. Wonder if there is anything available to download though. Or podcasts. Didn't think of that.

Bonsoir Tue 25-Sep-12 18:10:19

You could buy a set of DVDs of C'est pas sorcier, a very popular and long-running popular science TV show for children.

MmeLindor Tue 25-Sep-12 16:29:07

That looks good. I cannot access it but might be able to do so on the virtual IP doodah. Thanks.

lelait Tue 25-Sep-12 09:13:26

What about Guilli? Im not sure if you can do the replay in the UK but it might just work... replay.gulli.fr/

MmeLindor Mon 24-Sep-12 09:45:57

We have moved back to UK from Switzerland and are keen for the DC to continue speaking French.

I have found a fab babysitter who will come and chat with them once a week, but would like them to watch French TV. Is there a French version of CBBC? Preferably that we could watch online or via Virgin TV as we don't have a sat dish.

Or can you recommend any programmes that they might like. They enjoy natural history type programmes so maybe something like that.

DD is 10yo and DS is 8yo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now